Starting a Production Company

Hi

Looking for Investors for my Independent Feature Film (first one which ive wrote and will direct)...Would I have to create a Production Company in order to help attract Investors???

Would I have to create a Production Company in order to help attract Investors???
Not necessarily, though operating under an LLC, corp, or s-corp could be beneficial from a tax and liability standpoint.

(first one which ive wrote and will direct)
That could be an issue. It may not be, but getting investment for an "unknown quantity" is always going to be more of an uphill battle.

Not necessarily, though operating under an LLC, corp, or s-corp could be beneficial from a tax and liability standpoint.

That could be an issue. It may not be, but getting investment for an "unknown quantity" is always going to be more of an uphill battle.

thanks for the reply...yeah I understand about the lack of experience being an issue...just got to ensure my Business Plan is air tight, and hope for the best......the film will be shot in Ireland, so I know theres 481 tax incentive

thanks for the reply...yeah I understand about the lack of experience being an issue...just got to ensure my Business Plan is air tight, and hope for the best......the film will be shot in Ireland, so I know theres 481 tax incentive
In your country what are the requirements with a business plan? Do
you need to have a business in order to solicit investors and offer the
481 tax incentive? That's what a prodCo is; a business. Can you solicit
investors and offer the 481 tax incentive as an individual?

I know the laws of the U.S. but not the UK

Hi

Looking for Investors for my Independent Feature Film (first one which ive wrote and will direct)...Would I have to create a Production Company in order to help attract Investors???

Creating a company would look better, but it would probably only have a marginal effect on sophisticated investors, because they would know it could be a shell. That said, a company should be created if you're serious about making a feature film, and it could - repeat could - qualify for tax incentives in your local area.

The process of forming a corporation is complex, and you should get a lawyer to do it. If you don't have the seed money to hire a lawyer, then you probably don't have the money to start your business, never mind get investors.

Good luck.

In your country what are the requirements with a business plan? Do
you need to have a business in order to solicit investors and offer the
481 tax incentive? That's what a prodCo is; a business. Can you solicit
investors and offer the 481 tax incentive as an individual?

I know the laws of the U.S. but not the UK

the 481 recently changed slightly...I rang the Irish Film Board as one of their members is involved in the development of the 481, but he is off til Monday for me to find out. Once I get fed back, ill post up

I look forward to learning a little about how it works in the UK.

Here in the states there are regulations regarding soliciting investors.
And the regulations are different if the "producer" knows the people
putting up money personally. Or if it isn't an "investment".

It's complicated.

Film-makers often set up a separate limited liability company for each project because if it is a financial disaster, or gets sued, or whatever, it greatly restricts the damage that might be done to their other properties. In the UK, setting up a Ltd company is cheap - last time I did it, it cost less than £100. And there can be real tax advantages. For years, my wife & I, as the only shareholders and directors, were paid salaries that came in under the threshold for paying tax & NI. Then we paid ourselves quarterly dividends, which are taxable but very tax-efficient for us because we're in France.

BUT, the accounting fees can be quite high. You need to keep very strict & detailed accounts (or pay a bookkeeper to do this), and you'll need a decent accountant to handle the annual returns. Our annual accountancy fee was around £1,500, for a company with very modest turnover. I did the bookkeeping myself, but it was a PITA.

If the Inland Revenue gets any idea that you might not be doing things quite right, you stand to get audited, and that can be expensive in terms of accountant's fees. (Some people I know take out insurance against this.)

More than the set up of a business or LCC, your skill as a sales pitchman and getting to meet people with money to burn matters most. Your ability to do a great elevator pitch will do much more for you than thousands spent to set up a professional looking business, website and office space.

Last edited:
Back