battle of the mics. whos the winner?

Im buying a mic in a couple of hours after some sleep, and I'm pretty sure im buying one of these two. !st corner-
audio technica at897

second corner-
rode ntg-2

The uses would be filmmaking on the set, primarly dialogue, other sounds if needed once in a while, mostly indoors in smaller rooms like a regular house. Im planning on making my own boompole, getting a xlr to mini adaptor for my camcorder. Anything else I would need?

Which one wins the battle? better value? better for me? better for filmmaking? please help, as I am planning on making a purchase within hours, and am almost ready. These two are the only ones holding me down. If I had to chose now it would prob. be the rode, but just want to check. danks for it all!
;)

Either mic is a passable choice on a limited budget - similar specs, etc. Just remember to keep fresh batteries in it; low voltage causes distortion.

If you are doing the bulk of your shooting indoors a shotgun mic is not always the best option. Something like the Audio Technica AT4051 may be a better choice.

You will need an impedance matcher/adapter. They are low-Z mics, camcorder inputs are hi-Z. Your biggest problem is that most camcorders don't have adequate sound controls. A Beachtek DXA series mic adapter/controller is solid investment - impedance matching, volume controls, etc.

the mic is not the important part, sure don't go and by a 10 dollar one, but the preamp and compressor/limiter it goes into is going to make the big difference. As long as you can put enough gain to make it touchy its all about placement and as long as you can limit the peaks so they dont clip its all about the compressor/limiter.

GO Audio Tech. ;)

the mic is not the important part, sure don't go and by a 10 dollar one, but the preamp and compressor/limiter it goes into is going to make the big difference. As long as you can put enough gain to make it touchy its all about placement and as long as you can limit the peaks so they dont clip its all about the compressor/limiter.

As a rule of thumb turn off all compression and limiting. Compressed/limited audio files make for a very difficult (read "expensive") audio post.

The most important aspect once you have the mic is the boom-op. A great boom-op with mediocre gear will get you much better sound than a Schoeps CMIT5U held by whichever PA isn't doing anything at the moment.

Are you sure that all compression off is the way to go? Now I'm not saying turn the compression down to -40db, but if you set it to limit any peaks that reach say -3db then the rest of the signal will be un-altered. This will give you great sound with no clips or alteration on any audio signal less then -3db (95% of the signal).

Please correct me if I'm wrong as most of my work is done in the studio, not on the field.)

Back