Is there anyone with a Beachtek DXA-2s on this forum?

If so, can you please post some examples of what it can accomplish? Maybe short movies you've made using it, or some audio tests? I would REALLY appreciate it.

I'm an Audio Technica AT897 owner, and unfortunately, like most of us here, have a camera with VERY shitty preamps. I didn't mind at first, but now I really want to improve my sound. Even when I upgrade my camera, I'm not planning on buying one with XLR inputs (my next camera will be the HV30/HV40).A Beachtek seems like the best choice for me. Some of the things I've been reading online really worry me though. People claim that in order to get rid of audio hiss, the Beachtek needs to be at 50% (or even less). For a microphone like the AT897, which isn't very hot to begin with, is this going to be a problem? Moreover, how bad is the hiss at the higher levels?

I have one. Love it. The audio for Road Kill was captured with a crappy shotgun mic running through the beachtek dxa-2s.

The thing about the beachtek is that it gives the camera a constant strength signal, so the camera doesn't adjust its gains constantly. There is some amount of hiss if you run it wide open, but you should never have to do so.

I have one. Love it. The audio for Road Kill was captured with a crappy shotgun mic running through the beachtek dxa-2s.

The thing about the beachtek is that it gives the camera a constant strength signal, so the camera doesn't adjust its gains constantly. There is some amount of hiss if you run it wide open, but you should never have to do so.

Wow, the audio was great (despite the hiss). After 20 seconds, I wasn't even aware of the hiss. Ambient audio is great for masking the hiss too. I really liked the audio when they left the car. Where did you get such an awesome ambient track? Great movie by the way. I REALLY enjoyed it!

What mic did you use? Does the HV20 have manual override of Auto Gain Control?

I've also been reading that Juicedlink is a bit better then the Beachtek. So, maybe i'll look into that too.

Back