• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Storyality

Any one heard of or looked at Storyality. Found it interesting. It was some guys doctorate research on movies with the highest return on investment and how they are structured. Can't find more detailed information on it and I'm not interested in buying the book at this point. It's an easy find on Google.

Any one heard of or looked at Storyality. Found it interesting. It was some guys doctorate research on movies with the highest return on investment and how they are structured.

Careful! If that doctorate paper had passed over my desk, I'd have failed it! The figures are completely incorrect: Listed budget does not represent the total investment, in some cases the listed budget only represents a tiny fraction of the investment. Secondly, the difference between budget and worldwide gross is not the return on investment. At least half of the gross goes to the cinemas which screened the film and not to those who invested/made/distributed the film. The end result is that in some cases, the ROI would have been far closer to 0% than the thousands of percent quoted!

I'm not disputing the potential value of the golden arch theory, it's been applied in the arts for centuries. However, it's only one variable of many and there are countless great works of art which have not employed it and countless rubbish works of art which have!

G

I'm not disputing the potential value of the golden arch theory, it's been applied in the arts for centuries. However, it's only one variable of many and there are countless great works of art which have not employed it and countless rubbish works of art which have!

I'm going to take a wild guess that you mean the Golden "Spiral" which is a ratio, not a theory. Having to do with composition not socioeconomics. The Golden Arch theory is something very different that wouldn't really apply to this without a chuckle or two.

That being said do you have an example of one of the "countless rubbish works of art" that blatantly utilized the golden spiral? Curious.

I'm going to take a wild guess that you mean the Golden "Spiral" which is a ratio, not a theory.

No. It was often referred to as the "golden arch" although the term "golden ratio" was also common but I can't say I've ever heard it called the "golden spiral". I came across it about 30 years ago, when I was at conservertoire studying to be an orchestral musician. In music it's a structural device which defines the point of climax in a piece. Beethoven's 5th Symphony is a good example, Mozart employed it quite often, although there was some dispute about how consciously and Bela Bartok stuck to it almost religiously.

Off the top of my head I can't quote an example of a rubbish composition (or other artistic work) which employed it. It was commonly employed by many composers, particularly in the C19th but the majority of those compositions and even many of the composers themselves are pretty much unheard of today except in some of the more comprehensive classical music encyclopaedias. It shouldn't be too difficult to look up a few but I've got a busy day, full of crucial meetings, so don't have time myself.

G

No. It was often referred to as the "golden arch" although the term "golden ratio" was also common but I can't say I've ever heard it called the "golden spiral".

Wow. OK I can't quite tell if you are being serious or if I accidentally snorted some laced heroin or something. The OP is about StoryAlity and the very first thing on the provided StoryAlity link that you "read and failed" is the Golden Spiral (interchangeable with Golden Ratio) which is what the StoryAlity system is based on and consequently constantly what the wordpress article in question references throughout.

So for you to then apparently randomly/coincidentally start talking about the Golden Arch "Theory", which is a well known explanation on globalization and war, and say it was in fact a 30 year old music term that applied to other arts as well - right below a post about the Golden Spiral, which is a visual tool used for film/photog/art - (and again the basis for StoryAlity, the OP's subject) - is well - hopefully you see my utter bewilderment. I think I am actually getting a psychic nosebleed.

Off the top of my head I can't quote an example of a rubbish composition (or other artistic work) which employed it. --- I've got a busy day, full of crucial meetings, so don't have time myself.

Yep.

Last edited:
So for you to then apparently randomly/coincidentally start talking about the Golden Arch "Theory", which is a well known explanation on globalization and war, and say it was in fact a 30 year old music term that applied to other arts as well - right below a post about the Golden Spiral, which is a visual tool used for film/photog/art - (and again the basis for StoryAlity, the OP's subject) - is well - hopefully you see my utter bewilderment.

Nope, I don't see your bewilderment.

1. "Golden Arch" is not a 30 year old musical term, it's a term which has been used for far longer.

2. Whichever of the terms used over the centuries to describe the idea/concept/theory you choose to use, the point is that it's not an absolute rule. Plenty of great art (inc. films) does not employ it, employing it certainly does not guarantee a great or financially successful film, especially as some of the data used in the article to prove the point was wildly inaccurate. My point was that while it's certainly no bad thing to know about the golden ratio/arch/spiral, it's also not an idea/theory/concept which is essential, as appears to be implied by the article.

There you go, it's really quite simple, nothing to bewilder yourself about!

G

Nope, I don't see your bewilderment.

1. "Golden Arch" is not a 30 year old musical term, it's a term which has been used for far longer.

2. Whichever of the terms used over the centuries to describe the idea/concept/theory you choose to use, the point is that it's not an absolute rule. Plenty of great art (inc. films) does not employ it, employing it certainly does not guarantee a great or financially successful film, especially as some of the data used in the article to prove the point was wildly inaccurate. My point was that while it's certainly no bad thing to know about the golden ratio/arch/spiral, it's also not an idea/theory/concept which is essential, as appears to be implied by the article.

There you go, it's really quite simple, nothing to bewilder yourself about!

G

While I agree with your sentiment (though not your "countless rubbish but yet I can't think of one off hand" remark), you said you've "never heard of the golden spiral" and "recall the golden ratio" yet both of these things are screaming at the very top of, and throughout, the StoryAlity document you clearly said you read, enough to "fail" it even.

On top of this, you began talking about a concept that is similar to the Golden Spiral and called it by the name of a socioeconomic theory that happens to share the word "golden".

Sorry, bewilderment fully intact.

Last edited:
Back