Every shot in 'Children of Men' that is 45 seconds or longer.

Something I put together in anticipation for his new film -- "Gravity" -- which will not only have a 17+ minute opening shot, but an average shot length of 45 seconds. More info in the description, hope you enjoy.

http://vimeo.com/41218073

Also, for fun I combined my favorite scene from 'Children of Men', with my favorite song from Sigur Ros. I was surprised at how well it worked. Let me know what you think.

http://vimeo.com/40782882

Just curious, are the long shots in Children of Men special in particular, or is it something you seek out in other films? If so, which other film comes in as your next fave? :abduct:

Just wonderin' :cool:

Just curious, are the long shots in Children of Men special in particular, or is it something you seek out in other films? If so, which other film comes in as your next fave? :abduct:

Just wonderin' :cool:

I think the ones in this film are some of - if not - the best I've ever experienced. I'm a huge fan of the gritty realism and extraordinary production design that all comes together in such an incredible way. Other films that make great use of them are Snake Eyes, Touch of Evil, Hunger, Atonement, Unbreakable, and many others.

In my humble opinion though, no other film has used them as effectively yet.

I usually hate super long shots. I really dont like "enter the void" or films like it. But i love the way they use them in children of men. Im not sure why it comes across better to me.

Nice write up! I'll have to check your Sigur Rós edit later. Not a huge fan, but boy does their music lend itself to film. It was used really well in Angels of the Universe (alongside an amazing score by Hilmar Örn Hilmarsson). Sorta like the Godspeed You Black Emperor track in 28 Days Later...just fit perfectly!

Nice write up! I'll have to check your Sigur Rós edit later. Not a huge fan, but boy does their music lend itself to film. It was used really well in Angels of the Universe (alongside an amazing score by Hilmar Örn Hilmarsson). Sorta like the Godspeed You Black Emperor track in 28 Days Later...just fit perfectly!

Agreed, they are amazing.

First: I love Sigur Ros. They are the shit!

Second: Children of Men is not just well written, it has superb art direction and acting. The cinematography puts all these pieces together in a brilliant way!

Filming a battle scene in one continuous shot is something that should be done more often. Some of the newer action scenes in movies are so fast paced, you can't really see what's going on. It's a gimmick, but I think most films today are so fast paced because the actors are too bad to stay in character for several minutes and NOT because the audience demands fast cutted action scenes.

Back