New way to air your film....

Hello!
My name is Sara and I head Film Acquisitions for Portalcast Entertainment Network. Portalcast is a network of kiosks set in restaurants, shopping centers bars, etc. showcasing short films on a pay-per-view basis. The idea is people can check out a quick 10 minute film while waiting in line or hanging out. We are premiering the first 20 films in local businesses later this month, but plan to expand nationally.
I am currently looking for films that meet our criteria from filmmakers who would like to get some exposure. We are choosing films with compelling content (any genre as long as it is suitable for all audiences).
If this sounds like something you might be interested in, please lcheck out www.portalcastinc.com for more info.

This is interesting, though I'm curious to see what the actual user rate will be - how much does it cost? I would think it might be more compelling to a user if the business where the kiosk is placed offers the 'service' free. And, an advertiser could create a short film, with soft product placement, and then... Did those BMW films go anywhere? I don't know.

It would be great if we could find a way to offer the films for free!. However, the fee will be minimal, and a percentage of the profits will go directly to the filmmakers. Hopefully it will be a win/win situation. I wonder about the BMW films as well as Quiksilver's new film contest. I would love to get Red Bull or some other company that finances sports films involved. Free advertising for them! We are planning to have sponsors eventually, once we start to expand. As of now, production companies and filmmakers are encouraged to display their info. before or after the film. If anyone out there has any suggestions let me know. I am open to any feedback.

Soft product placement is huge. Do a google search and I'll bet you'll come up with some interesting stuff. Short films are getting more attention. For the first time ever, I think, a local art house aired the academy award-nominated shorts for a whole week. I went to a 4:30pm showing on a Sunday and even though it was a light house, there was a respectable number in attendance (a Detroit suburb for the record). If you partnered with a national chain bar-type restaurant and provided the kiosks, you might get a glance from some beer co's to sponsor some films. If you aggressively pursue it. But, your whole modus is to make some cash on the front end from the businesses that 'rent' the kiosks, yes? Mabe you could cash in on both ends, create some opps for filmmakers while you're at it. "Course, that's gonna take some time.... and money. But it would be fun to try, eh? Or, maybe you already are? Anyway, good luck with it.

This is a great idea. In Melbourne there was a short film competition where filmmakers had to direct a short with the output to be screened on little TV screens on the back of taxis.

Having been a victim of being made to wait in line, watching short films in a restaurant lobby would be a welcome treat. Good luck with that!

nice site. Very clean layout, media plays well...I'd like access to a pause button though as I do get to watch at work sometimes and have to pause for questions and phone calls. On your site, this forces me to close the window and probably not open it again as I've lost the time already invested...depends on the movie of course.

Back in my day, you had to stick something in the projector reel to get a pause, and it was hard to work while watching movies, because it was too dark in the theater. You young people just don't realize how good you've got it!

[wink]

Back