What made you want to make films?

But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams. W.B. Yeats

I guess I really do need to watch that movie again.

"Evidently Mr. Ringo's an educated man. Now I really hate him." - Tombstone

As a smaller child, the music from Legend and Susperia (I watched a lot of horror movies at a much earlier age than I should have) really grabbed me. One of the first albums I ever bought for myself was the Robin Hood Prince of Thieves soundtrack (I still like that score...and that movie, damnit!). As a teenager, I was really into Oingo Boingo (still am), which of course led to Danny Elfman, though almost embarassing how long it took me to make that connection. Twin Peaks was on with its' haunting, dreamy, silly score. Around that time I started to learn to play guitar (Frank Zappa's "Watermelon In Easter Hay" was the inspiration for that).

After a long road of musical self-education and study, my love of film music seems the perfect place to explore my ecclectic tastes, and push myself into doing music I might not have done otherwise. I love film almost as much as music and being involved in both is the most satisfying thing I have ever done!

I'm a story-teller. I can't help it. I'm hard-wired to it. If this was the year 10,000 BC, I'd be the tribe's shaman, telling stories of our ancestors around the campfire, or if I was a Greek during the time of Homer I probably would've aspired to be like him, or Shakespeare during his time, or a bard amongst the visigoths, or a druid amongst the Celts.

One of the things that stuck with me after reading Robert McKee's "Story" was what he said about the nature of story and how everyone has an innate sense of it due to hundreds of thousands of years of evolution where story structure has developed naturally and been a core part of who we are as a species. Telling stories isn't just about entertainment, it's about who we are, how we are, where we are, when we are and why we are.

All told Equilibrium was a crap film... just saying.

You sir, have no taste. Equilibrium, despite being B-grade, derivative and heavy-handed, is one of the best films ever made, bar none!

You sir, have no taste. Equilibrium, despite being B-grade, derivative and heavy-handed, is one of the best films ever made, bar none!

In my opinion the best film ever made was Tremors... despite being B-grade, derivative and heavy-handed of course. If you do not happen to like Tremors I will not insult your taste fine sir ;).

Back