INSIDIOUS = impressive & independent!

I already liked this movie, but now that I know some details of the sparse production, I'm really impressed....

Joseph-Bishara-as-Demon-and-Ty-Simpkins-as-Dalton-in-INSIDIOUS.-Courtesy-of-FilmDistrict..jpg

This is a collaboration between producer Oren Peli (PARANORMAL ACTIVITY) and writer/actor Leigh Whannell (SAW) and director James Wan (SAW). The melding of the two styles is really effective - drop the gore and crank up the scares. Except, these are not suggestive scares, thanks to the SAW guys. The visuals and makeup are in your face.

Independent? From guys who struck lightning by sending their script, accompanied by their $30,000 self made beartrap clip, which allowed them to the backing of Lionsgate to make SAW. They've returned to their roots with INSIDIOUS. According to James Wan:

My lowest budget film yet...........Doing it outside of the studio system. I literally cut this film myself, in my bedroom, on my little Mac computer.

They did this for $800,000. Why? According to Leigh Whannell:

Creative control...And making the film with a very indie spirit....And shooting the whole thing in 22 days.

Back