Summer Glau thread.

As the regulars know, I've been observing the effects of the Summer Glau curse, and it still seems pretty potent.

She was in NTSF:SD:SUV in 2013, and, looking at IMDB, nothing has been heard of the series since.

Heh, heh, heh - no one can dispute the existence of the curse now.

How would see feel if she ever came across such theories? People saying it's her unlucky curse that caused the death of like the best cult show ever (in case I have to be blunt, Firefly). That'd crush the poor girl.

She already knows, apparently - I remember seeing an interview where she says she doesn't want to read about her on the internet, because people are saying she's a show killer. This is a free country, where free speech is highly valued, and, if she can't handle it, she should be a public figure.

BTW, can I ask what you like about Firefly? Quite honestly, I found it boring, but so many people seem to like it. If you can give me your thoughts, I'd really appreciate it, thanks.

Last edited:
BTW, can I ask what you like about Firefly? Quite honestly, I found it boring, but so many people seem to like it. If you can give me your thoughts, I'd really appreciate it, thanks.

I know it wasn't addressed to me, but I'll answer all the same. Firefly is a superb series - stylish, funny and with some excellent dialogue. The characters are strong, the interactions believable, and it has some impressive set pieces. I don't know how anyone could find it boring, unless they just don't like sci-fi (or, indeed, westerns).

In fact, I think I need to dig it out and watch it again...

I don't like westerns, but I love sci-fi. I got the DVD for "Serenity", but maybe I should look at the series again.

This is, of course, very interesting to me, because, despite the short run, the series retains a following.

Maz (and everyone else), which is more important to you, the story or the special effects? Feel free to PM me if you wish, thanks. :)

Last edited:
She already knows, apparently - I remember seeing an interview where she says she doesn't want to read about her on the internet, because people are saying she's a show killer. This is a free country, where free speech is highly valued, and, if she can't handle it, she should be a public figure.

Sorry for delaying my reply haha. I saw your reply on my phone and hate having to type with that. So here we go...

Firstly, yea, I know, haha. My bit about her coming across this kind of thing was just humor. I've believe she's addressed it both on Conan and SDCC. However I don't think she handles the public well at all, she's way to introverted. Perhaps she's scared that speaking at SDCC panels will cause her curse to kill the con? (another joke)

But yea! Firefly! If you watch that series all the way through you'll see epic character development both of the individuals and as a crew altogether. I could go on and explain each character, but I'm sure a quick google will explain the development of each character better than I can. Plus the characters have very hidden and interesting backgrounds that are never explained sadly... due to being cancelled... So yea. Character development is A+

Thanks, Skycopeland. So I presume you prefer character-oriented stories to plot-oriented ones, from the sounds of it.

Maybe I should watch the series. In terms of character, how does it compare to Deep Space 9?

Thanks, Skycopeland. So I presume you prefer character-oriented stories to plot-oriented ones, from the sounds of it.

Maybe I should watch the series. In terms of character, how does it compare to Deep Space 9?

I do love character-oriented stories, but I wouldn't say Firefly is lacking in plot. In fact I think in the short 13 episode series we can see countless seeds for future plot lines, many of which couldn't be wrapped up in the movie. Especially the whole Browncoats situation and what those agent looking guys were trying to do with River. Sadly, we'll never really know. Unless the comics decide to go after that storyline.

Even when the fans tried to raise millions for Nathan Fillion to buy the series rights, it was shot down.

Now to your question... Deep Space 9... never heard of it... sorry. But perhaps I'll watch it and give you an answer later? XD

It's a question of degree, Skycopeland. Of course, all sci-fi, by its nature, would have some sort of plot, but some prefer an orientation towards plot - Star Wars: A New Hope and the first Star Trek movie - as opposed to an orientation towards character - Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back and Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan.

Of course, as I write this, I notice that the latter two are considered the greatest sci-fi films of all time, and that would be my leaning anyway. That said, 2001 is almost entirely plot-oriented, and it remains an iconic film.

I don't like westerns, but I love sci-fi. I got the DVD for "Serenity", but maybe I should look at the series again.

This is, of course, very interesting to me, because, despite the short run, the series retains a following.

Maz (and everyone else), which is more important to you, the story or the special effects? Feel free to PM me if you wish, thanks. :)

I don't like westerns particularly either, but Firefly took the observation that most multi-world space dramas (e.g. Star Wars) are essentially westerns with lasers anyway, and made it overt in a particularly nice way. The theme music (which Whedon wrote himself) is a particularly good example of this: a sci-fi show starting with an overtly frontiersman-style song about freedom but also clearly about space exploration.

I was very much a latecomer to the Firefly party (I first watched it in 2012ish, so a long time after cancellation), and I haven't ever watched Buffy or anything else by Whedon. I can definitely see why it has a cult following - the single series was a very well-developed exercise in universe and mythology building, and when you have a mythology that rich, viewers want to explore every corner of it. From the other side of the Atlantic, all those swipes at FOX in FOX shows like The Simpsons and Family Guy suddenly make sense :)

For me, story, structure and dialogue are always more important than special effects, no matter the genre. A film/show can work with no FX or CGI, but won't get anywhere without those three elements. A great example I always use for this is the Doctor Who episode "Midnight" - the series is famous for its over-reliance on often-ropey CGI, but this episode is a masterpiece of small-scale sci-fi horror storytelling.

In 2013, I started this thread about Summer Glau starring in Hawaii Five-0. And things haven't gone well for the reboot.

Last season saw a big decline in the demo ratings for Hawaii Five-0. CBS renewed the series for a fifth season and reportedly ordered 25 episodes. Is this a sign that they plan to end the series or could it be renewed for a sixth season if the ratings are strong enough? We’ll have to wait and see.

Yes, let's wait and see. :D

Every TV series ends or is canceled. Every one. If Summer Glau did
even one role in one episode the reason the show was canceled was
because of the “curse”.

She was on an episode of “The Big Bang Theory” so someday when that
show is canceled it proves there is a curse. She was on “Arrow” which
was renewed for a forth season. But in the future when that show is
canceled that will prove there is a “Summer Glau Curse”.

She was in ONE episode of “Hawaii Five-O”. Someday it will get canceled
and that will prove there is a “Summer Glau Curse”. For now nothing is
verified because it has been renewed. She was in two episodes of “Grey's
Anatomy" and it's still going – renewed for its eleventh season. But when
it is canceled that will prove there is a “Summer Glau curse”.

Very convenient.

Every TV series ends or is canceled. Every one. If Summer Glau did
even one role in one episode the reason the show was canceled was
because of the “curse”.

She was on an episode of “The Big Bang Theory” so someday when that
show is canceled it proves there is a curse. She was on “Arrow” which
was renewed for a forth season. But in the future when that show is
canceled that will prove there is a “Summer Glau Curse”.

She was in ONE episode of “Hawaii Five-O”. Someday it will get canceled
and that will prove there is a “Summer Glau Curse”. For now nothing is
verified because it has been renewed. She was in two episodes of “Grey's
Anatomy" and it's still going – renewed for its eleventh season. But when
it is canceled that will prove there is a “Summer Glau curse”.

Very convenient.

The curse says the show would be cancelled within two seasons.

But it's only happened five out of twenty shows. So fifteen shows
she was on lasted more than two seasons. Including NTSF:SD:SUV
which lasted three. Yet you believe this "curse" is pretty potent and
no one can dispute the existence of the curse now.

I don't believe in curses but I enjoy looking at patterns. I don't even
see a pattern here.

Thought I'd look into this for fun to actually see the track record

Show | Last Appearance | Cancellation? | Curse Possible?

Angel | Season 3 | Season 5 | Yes
Firefly | Season 1 | Season 1 | Yes
Cold Case | Season 1 | Season 7 | No
CSI | Season 5 | Season 15+ | No
The Unit | Season 2 | Season 4 | Yes
The 4400 | Season 4 | Season 4 | Yes
The Big Bang Theory | Season 2 | Season 9+ | No
Terminator: TSCC | Season 2 | Season 2 | Yes
Dollhouse | Season 2 | Season 2 | Yes
Chuck | Season 4 | Season 5 | Yes
Good Morning Rabbit | Pilot | Not Picked Up | Maybe?
The Cape | Season 1 | Season 1 | Yes
Grey's Anatomy | Season 8 | Season 12+ | No
Alphas | Season 2 | Season 2 | Yes
Hawaii Five-0 | Season 3 | Season 5+ | No
NTSF:SD:SUV | Season 3 | Season 3 / Hiatus with no plans to return | Maybe?
Arrow | Season 2 | Season 4+ | Awaiting to live past Season 4
Sequestered | Season 1 | Season 1 / Not Yet Cancelled or Renewed | Awaiting
Peter Panzerfaust | Pilot | Pilot | Yes

Yes: 10
No : 5
Maybe : 2
Awaiting: 2

Last edited:
Looking at your data again, the two "maybe's" should be Yesses, because they haven't continued. So the tally is 12 to 5, and, for the fanboy genre, it's only one No so far (Arrow).

Back