• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Independent Film Supersite

S

spotflix1

logo.jpg

SPOTFLIX
Flicks on the SPOT
Offering novelty to the independent film community, Spot Flix is the first organization of its kind to simultaneously present instant access to an international array of previously unseen films, provide a filmmaker's forum for networking opportunities, enlighten with continuous industry and festival news flow, and materialize a platform to showcase the projects and production companies of a world wide independent film community.

RENT MOVIES
A groundbreaking opportunity to rent films on-line, throughout the world, with DRM protection technology for a 24 hour period within Windows environment.

NEWS SPOTLIGHT

Share exclusive video news of your innovative ventures. What's hot? What's happening? Be creative! SPOTFLIX does not entertain any video news previously broadcasted on other channels. The SPOTFLIX editing team will try to only approve appropriate news useful to the independent film community.

GUIDE

Get your technical/ non-technical questions answered within the SPOTFLIX community Q&A forum.

MARKET
Opportunities abound! FILMMAKERS: SPOTFLIX offers a new way to raise financing for your projects at various stages of production through our network of independent film financiers. SPOTFLIX encourages filmmakers to use concept art/ concept trailers in order to help financiers gain a better understanding of your creative vision.

PRO RESUME
Create and broadcast your video resume to the independent filmmaking community.

CLASSIFIEDS

Build your network here! Post your listings, detailing your requirements within the SPOTFLIX community.

GALLERY

FILMMAKERS: share your acumen! We are seeking innovative footage into camera techniques, light, sound and production design, editing, and other facets of your approach to independent filmmaking.

FESTIVAL SHOWCASE
Revolutionizing the way we access film festival events, Spotflix offers a showcase within which to network with the community through the national festival circuit, bringing you news, updated trailers, selected and awarded films at the click of a button. FESTIVAL ORGANIZERS: Spotflix invites you to join our showcase in order to herald your initiatives to the independent film community.

DIRECTORY

To be included in our free national filmmaker directory please post a brief though professional company profile highlighting your projects. Profiles should be objective, simple, and comprehensive. Your posting will be available to our entire network, a vast independent filmmaking community.

www.spotflix.com

sorry, I'm a mac user. I see a big "requires windows" flag on the front page...I closed it. Sounds like a good thing though, just not immediately useful to me.

Welcome to the forum, hope it helps you grow your business.

Sounded very interesting to me, too. They have even contacted me about my current feature. But since I can't use the site, I am less inclined to go with this service. Someday, when us Mac users are included, I might be interested.

Unfortunately a lot of the "rental" or PPD (pay-per-download) sites are Windows only because of the DRM. Not sure why there hasn't been a universal protection scheme utilized yet but as a filmmaker, not a Mac user, I am interested in any potential avenue for distribution. It's easy enough to convert to an AVI/WMV file so I'm going to explore SpotFlix as another candidate for my film.

Not sure why there hasn't been a universal protection scheme utilized yet but as a filmmaker, not a Mac user, I am interested in any potential avenue for distribution. It's easy enough to convert to an AVI/WMV file so I'm going to explore SpotFlix as another candidate for my film.

I understand what you're saying, but indie film makers make up a fairly significant part of the audience for indie films. That's where I have issues with the business model.

As a film maker interested in other people's work I'm effectively barred from both viewing and telling my mates about it. As modern film marketing is being driven more and more by internet networking, it's a mistake to lock out a fairly influential sector of the market.

I think any serious download supplier will have to provide universal access -- look at iTunes.

I also think that selling a film doesn't have to be about have multiple outlets, a film maker might do better by only having their film available via a service like Customflix, but diversifying their marketing strategy. So, free clips on Google Video and YouTube, viral campaigns, kick ass web site -- but the film itself only on sale on DVD.

The only really successful PPV video outlets are all in the adult market and that's not about ease of purchase, it's about anonymity for the purchaser.

Of course I could be wrong about this -- that's the problem at the moment, the industry is changing so fast it's hard to figure out effective strategies. The only thing that I'm really sure of at the moment is that regardless of whether you're seliing via a regular distributor or via self distribution you better take responsibility for bulding your own audience.

Back