On The Lot: Discuss the show

Spat that is great about the fly out, I hope you get to go just for the experience.

While I didn't like Kenny at first - seemed like an attitude problem, but I believe that was for ratings - I really liked Kenny's work. I wish him the best in the future.

I haven't been online very much lately, been working my butt off for new equipment so I haven't commented on the show like I would normally.

This week was interesting as all the films shown were not as good as I would have expected. I guess the one that stands out for me was Old Home Boyz by Jason. Zach was on off week for sure, but I am beginning to notice that most of the movies are becoming commercials. I wonder if they are "suggesting" to the filmmakers to put in a little ad help for each of the sponsors.

Next week will be another interesting thing with Jerry O'Connell starring in the top movie from this week.

And for closing, I am starting to have a thing for Adrianna, something about those weird dress things that make me kind of tingly inside. (the good kind of tingly).

It's official!

Thanks Eddie!

It's official people! Got my flight info and hotel bookings today! I'm going to LA!!! WAHOOO!

Flying out on the morning of the 31st with a brief stop-over in Chicago, and they're putting me up in the Roosevelt Hotel... where the first Academy Awards were held! But more importantly, the hotel where Marilyn Monroe's ghost has been seen! Famous Ghosts!

WAAAAA! What the hell?!? I feel pretty luck, punks. More to follow...

Thanks Eddie!

It's official people! Got my flight info and hotel bookings today! I'm going to LA!!! WAHOOO!

Flying out on the morning of the 31st with a brief stop-over in Chicago, and they're putting me up in the Roosevelt Hotel... where the first Academy Awards were held! But more importantly, the hotel where Marilyn Monroe's ghost has been seen! Famous Ghosts!

WAAAAA! What the hell?!? I feel pretty luck, punks. More to follow...

I got it! Bring a spatula with you and wave it in the air. :yes:

Congratulations! That's a hell of a deal.

I was just reading your blog and discovered that you and my wife share the same birthday. Are we all Cancerous in here? Poke is a Cancer, too. Mine is July 3rd.

Last edited:
I got it! Bring a spatula with you and wave it in the air.

That's perfect! I'm so bringing my Spatula! I'll wear it around my neck, clap with it, and wave it like a Queen... oh I feel bad for whoever has to sit next to me...

I was just reading your blog and discovered that you and my wife share the same birthday. Are we all Cancerous in here? Poke is a Cancer, too. Mine is July 3rd.

Gotta love cancer! (not something you read every day...)

spat...can you get them to fly me out there as your assistant?

I asked if they would fly my girlfriend out in that role, but no dice. If I convince them to do it with you, would you perform the same "assistant tasks"? Hmmm... don't answer that...

Okay. Zach's film the week before last didn't work, so to bring it back again was a mistake. I am definitely not alone in my opinion, apparently, that some films aren't meant for sequels. I actually thought Jason was gone, though, because I agreed that his punchline didn't match the lead-in, so on the one hand I was surprised at the vote but on the other it makes sense to me.

Will brought home a winner tonight. Very professional looking, and the talent all performed well.

Sam... Well, there are too many laws against sexual harassment for anyone to get away with that behavior in this day and age (my wife works in H.R.), and that was too "Saw" like for me also. He's in trouble (again).

Adam... His male leads didn't perform well at first, but considering the punchline and the actual situation, it's forgivable. I didn't see that one coming! Well done, indeed.

Jason needs some help. It was okay, but Bruce Willis and Samuel Jackson did better with that comedy bit in the Die Hard franchise.

I think Sam is gone with Jason standing next to him in the bottom two. Stranger things have happened, though.

One suggestion for the production (if any of you are reading this): move the bulk of the behind the scenes footage to after each film because you're taking too much away from the element of surprise and discovery. Show what they did, and then show how they did it. Teasers before the commercial breaks are fine as long as they don't give too much away. When I watch a DVD, I watch the movie first and then the special features. Of course, this is just my personal opinion (for what it's worth).

Well, either I have strong, accurate intuition or I just have my finger on the right pulse. Or perhaps I just made a lucky guess. Let's see if I can do it again.

JASON - Eternal Waters reminded me of a cross between The Ring and The Perfect Murder, both of which I enjoyed. Jason mentioned that it still gave him chills to watch it, and I admit that seeing it again gave me chills not because it was scary (it takes a lot to get to me) but because it was good. Having written a short thriller myself that is about to enter pre-production, I liked his style here.

With Sweet, every married man can empathize with that dilemma, and I am in this category. I think this movie was cute and well played.

Seeing Jason's choices and watching the films anew gave me a greater respect for him tonight than I have had in the past couple of weeks. He is a definite contender for the prize. Now that the show has no doubt gathered a larger audience as evidenced by the growing number of votes, these two films put him at the very least in second place.

WILL - Glass Eye I didn't think was the best choice for him at this stage of the game. While it was an interesting concept, the discovery phase was too drawn out for me. It had its humorous moments, but in my opinion the talent needed a better performance to sell it. It also needed to be tighter on the editing.

Where Glass Eye failed, The Yes Men excelled. It had a good story, good performances and a very professional, polished look to everything from the cinematography to the editing room (at least to my eyes).

Will's drive and enthusiasm is definitely contagious.

ADAM - I am not a big fan of modern-day movie musicals. Ever since I caught From Justin to Kelly, musicals died in my mind as "must see" films. I may watch them on cable now and then, but I've never paid money to see them on the big screen. I'd rather watch live stage performances. Movies like High School Musical and Hairspray show that there's an audience for them out there, but I am not among them. I do enjoy the classics like The Wizard of Oz, The Sound of Music, West Side Story, The Music Man, Doctor Dolittle (the original), and Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory among others. Dough: The Musical was well shot, well acted and well put together overall, it's just not the right sprinkles on my donut.

Army Guy's performances felt a bit "plastic" for me, especially the antagonist, but I forgave this once it was revealed that these portrayals were in the mind of a child. I doubt this was intentional; it just happened to work itself out. It's good that it was a short film because if a feature length movie did this where it didn't pay off until the end many would've already walked out. The rest (like me) would hang around out of sheer, morbid curiosity and would’ve thankfully been rewarded. When I first saw it, at the beginning I was thinking "Stepford Wives ripoff". I'm glad that was wrong.

If I were to judge based solely on the films shown tonight, I'd have to say Jason won. Coming in second would be Will with Adam bringing up the rear. But since each of them is greater than the films seen tonight, the one person with the most consistency and measured growth throughout this whole process is Will. So, my final prediction is that Will won, Jason is second and Adam third.

Last edited:
That's about what I'm thinking too...I like Will's eye (pun intended) behind the camera and think he's a good story teller.

But I am a sucker for a musical, especially one that's as well put together as Adam's was.

Jason's selections were the best of what he did, but I'm not too keen on the rest of his stuff (although I laughed out loud at his comedies (especially "ghetta room"). Something about the performances he gets from his actors rubs me the wrong way...(not that I can talk...hey, I'm working on it).

But since each of them is greater than the films seen tonight, the one person with the most consistency and measured growth throughout this whole process is Will. So, my final prediction is that Will won, Jason is second and Adam third.

Am I good or what? :D

Last edited:
Am I good or what? :D

You are good. :yes:

I feel that Will was pleasantly surprised, and it will not sink in until tomorrow. Hearing Steven say "Here's the keys to your office" gave me chills. How freaking cool is that. Also to be told by Steven that he had seen my films I may have soiled myself.

I hope that all of the filmmakers get to go as far as they should. Jason, Adam, Zach, Mateen, and some of the others were really good. I believe that they need and deserve the break.

I doubt that we will see another season of this, it is kind of sad too. :(

You are good. :yes:

I feel that Will was pleasantly surprised, and it will not sink in until tomorrow. Hearing Steven say "Here's the keys to your office" gave me chills. How freaking cool is that. Also to be told by Steven that he had seen my films I may have soiled myself.

I hope that all of the filmmakers get to go as far as they should. Jason, Adam, Zach, Mateen, and some of the others were really good. I believe that they need and deserve the break.

I doubt that we will see another season of this, it is kind of sad too. :(

I think we will. The composers are up for an Emmy for the opening sequence.

Yes, meeting Spielberg is still #1 my list of "must do" life-changing experiences. I would dearly love to pick his brain. When I was a teenager and still interested in acting, I met Danny Glover while his daughters were on the bumper cars at Great America (then owned by Marriott). We sat on a bench and just talked shop for a good 20-30 minutes.

Back