• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

a few questions about music for short films

1) Anyone know what film fests typically ask for in terms of legal documentation for music?
2) I've been checking out Designer Sound FX from video copilot, anyone have some general opinions on it? Think it sounds a little too canned? The sample file is quite short. Any general opinions appreciated.
3) Suggestions for other sources for chase scene scoring/music?

1. Yes.
2 and 3. There are a lot of sites that offer music (search on "royalty-free" + "music" or "score", etc). Sonicfire is one I've purchased music from, and their scoring software offers unique flexibility in adapting a piece of music to your film. In addition check with musicians in your area - they might love to offer a cut or two to your project - if songs (rather than scores) fit your project. In the case of my short we found a musician willing to try his hand at composing a score for a few hundred dollars.

My experience is with mid tier festivals only (so far), they have asked to to sign a form where I attribute the songs and state I have the rights to use them. I have never been asked to formally document that.

3) Suggestions for other sources for chase scene scoring/music?

Right here on IndieTalk! Plenty of composers willing to work on the cheap/for free. Check the classifieds, or post a request there.

I am, of course, very biased and I think fresh music from a composer is always better than library music. Not to diminish the value or quality of some library music, but it's easier to form a working relationship and get EXACTLY what you want with a composer. Or so we hope!

Right here on IndieTalk! Plenty of composers willing to work on the cheap/for free. Check the classifieds, or post a request there.

I am, of course, very biased and I think fresh music from a composer is always better than library music. Not to diminish the value or quality of some library music, but it's easier to form a working relationship and get EXACTLY what you want with a composer. Or so we hope!

Actually, library music isn't always that impersonal. My website has libraries but I'm always willing to adapt existing music from the libraries and have done some custom composing. While I don't do anything "free" (rent and groceries aren't free) most of my tracks are very reasonably priced.

Anyway, what I'm trying to get at is it all depends on the company and the people running it.

R.J. Woods

R.J. Woods Productions (http://rjw-stock-music.com)

As with the previous poster I also make "custom music" as well as music for the rocksuresoundz.com royalty free website. When making a living off this we can't do it for free..but for a fair and reasonable price

Back