sound recording job from hell

This one has been making the rounds, recently. The unfortunate part is that it's 100% true, I hear this kind of stuff a couple of times a week.

That was awesome. I am not a sound guy. I work with just the camera. But I wouldn't hesitate to give up more then half of the camera budget to get good sound on a set. With enough shot design and proper lighting one can make almost any camera look like it was shot on a RED. But you need real equipment and professionals to make the audio sound decent. Great post.

lol.

This is so true.

I am happy to say that I've gotten to a point that I can screen the directors I can work with - so I only choose the ones I know care about the sound.

If you look at the top directors in the industry, they are all sound conscious.

Spielberg, Nolan, Tarantino, Cameron, the list goes on...

I think that's no coincidence to their success.

This you-tube video vaguely reminds me of the thread I had with the I, Creator director...

My favorite quote of a director is:

To me: "Sound is so important to this film. I will make sure you have everything you have to do your job."

To lighting: "Lighting is so important to this film. I will make sure you have everything you have to do your job."

To food services: "Food services is so important to this film. I will make sure you have everything you have to do your job."

and then not act on it.

Last edited:
The I Creator spent a lot on leather pants but little on sound. That just shows that they don't realise sound is one of the most important things. He did have wireless mics that caused all kinds of problems. He said his sound guy quit on him before the shoot. If I remember correctly. It could have been operator error.

I do think the Zoom H4N actually works well. But from this video it makes you think the Zoom is crap. What is your thoughts? I have not used the zoom but I have heard it does well. Probably depends on the user and mics. Of course a cheap Radio Shack mic is going to suck. I think some spend all their money on camera and crew and have no money left for post production and sound. It is all a learning experience. On ultra low budget films you do try to get everything for free as much as possible.

This video cracked me up at times.

The red camera is really nice I do really like how it looks but wow it is amazingly expensive too.

Last edited:
But from this video it makes you think the Zoom is crap. What is your thoughts?
Compared to a Zaxcom Deva system or Sound Devices system - which is what most professional production sound folks use - the Zoom H4n is crap. Compared to having nothing the H4n is a life saver. It's all a matter if perspective. What it all comes down to in the end, however, is the skill with which the available tools are used. Great tools in the hands of an amateur will yield crappy results; modest tools in the hands of an expert can yield terrific results. But the most accomplished professional with the best tools available cannot produce good work without the cooperation of the leadership and the rest of the team.

I could record with my m audio interface and computer but I think I like the idea of using the Zoom better. The zoom is limited by the resolution it records at compared to the Zaxcom and Sound Devices brand. The zoom can record 24 bit too but only at 96 KHz versus 192 khz the others do. But the mic pre may be the other big thing the zoom is lacking. If you got better mic pres that would help. Maybe add an external mic pre to the zoom? The zoom is much cheaper and that is the main advantage to it.

You get a good mixer and use the H4n as a recorder only. The Sound Devices MixPre ($650) is excellent for the money, as is the Sound Devices MM-1 ($375).

24bit/96Khz is fine for production sound.

I love it...other forums start out with useful info and degenerate into the trivial. This one starts with the trivial and ends up providing useful info. :D

Back