Panasonic Ag-DVX-100A vs Canon XLS1

I am most appreciative if anyone can give me some suggestions on which video camera would be best for me. I Plan to use it for instructional video's for clients and small event filming (Birthdays, weddings, Hiking etc.) I believe I have narrowed it to the 2 video recorders above. Thanks

Both of those would be more than enough for what you need.

I'd go with the Panasonic, though. It has an LCD pop-out viewer on the side. The XLS does not. That means either keeping one eye permantly on the eyepiece (and not being able to quickly get a high-shot or spontaneous angles), or lugging about an external monitor.

That's no problem for presentation-style videos with a relatively still frame, but it will make things a bit more difficult at those weddings & other parties where people are milling about and moving all over the place.

Just my opinion. :shock:

"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mohandas Gandhi

I screw up all the time :wink:

I just got the Panasonic for graduation, and it rocks so hard. I havent used the Canon XL1s but i can definitely say that the Panasonic is excellent, user friendly for the most part too.

I've cut a couple of films that were shot on Cannon XL series cameras. The picture is soft, and the color tends towards the red end of the spectrum. I've never cut any footage from the Panasonic, but from those I know who've used them or cut footage from them, they like the results.

Go for the Panasonic. I've been in the biz for 16 years and it's the first under $5000 video camera I thought was worth owning and that's the reason I bought one. This camera has features I"ve only seen in cameras costing twice as much.

Scott

Back