Looking into ENG Camera

Greetings everyone,

I'm currently pondering the idea of buying a HD camera (well 800lines horizontal if we can call that HD). I found a couple different versions that I am interested in. For those of you who have worked with these cameras, is there anything I should know? Which is best?

The Cameras are:

Panasonic AG-DVC200
JVC GY-DV5000U
JVC GY-DV550U

and perhaps:

Sony DSR-250

most likely not but *very remote chance*:
Ikegami HL-DV7W

Any thoughts? Am I missing something obvious? Thanks!

I bought the JVC (5000) in 1999. I've used it on 18 features since then, 5 or so shorts and some b-roll for local news broadcasts.

I really love that camera. I've used the 5000U and it's just as good - in some cases even better.

Panavision took the sony HDW-F900 ENG, and set it up as an HD monster! ... this puppy is Baaadddaaasss

http://www.imagica.com/panavision/index.html

"Digital Cinematography camera system

The basic HDW-F900 was designed to be an ENG style hand held camera intended to support light weight ENG style lenses.

Panavision has ruggedized the camera and developed a lens mount that will support our new series of Primo Digitalâ„¢ lenses. The camera will also interface with all appropriate existing Panavision accessories."

Thanks for the input guys. It's really appreciated. Actually I am somewhat surprised how much lower quality the Panasonic is compared to the JVC! Not nearly as many features (I usually always buy Panasonic)!

Ok another quick question for those who have used either the JVC or the Panasonic:

Can the Panasonic record on DVCPRO 50 tapes? I know it will fit any full size tape but I am not sure if doubling the bitrate requires an in camera process or not. I would like to use DVCPRO 50 on my upcoming project and I need to be absolutely certain that the format can be recorded to with correct results.

As for the JVC, what is the equivalent format that JVC uses? Same question: can the JVC use similar tapes?

Back