need help making this video happen

So part of my style as a "filmmaker" is i like changing the shot every 30 frames. It keeps the video interesting and fast paced, i think that's kind of how you make good videos.

So i wrote this script (ill put it below) its more of a treatment i guess, but the problem i run into is i run out of footage quickly, i run out of ideas quickly, so if i were to make a new shot every 30 frames i would have only 1:30 of footage for a 3:30 song. i hope this makes sense to you, i want to make it fast paced and have the clips stretch and make it work, but i cant really figure it out.

heres the treatment

Theme: Rich, wealth, power, status, sex
Meaning:
Story: a love story, trying to attract Model A

A story would fill the whole time

Story is between citiboi and model girl, she likes him, hes a player and flirts with the others, she gets his attention in the end, and she leaves with him

30FPS
1 new shot every 30FPS/1 SEC

0 - :15 = FADE IN MONTAGE of jewelry or anything wealthy, MONTAGE close ups pans of sexy models, finger sexily over light swtich, MONTAGE friends looking tough close up pan,
:15 - :30 = DROP, MONTAGE Sexy models on gym equipment (push into), street/gym b-roll, car driving shots not revealing citiboi, MONTAGE Close ups of sexy models
:30 - :38 = non revealing shot citiboi walking into gym, pulling up to block, getting out, close up of models looking at citiboi, MONTAGE? more sexy shots of models
:38 - :46 = Saying whats up to his friends, flirting with a model A (getting close), b-roll of equipment/ street, motioning to model A that he'll be right back he has something to do, cut, MUSIC CUT FADE

:47 - :49 = INTRO close up pan of citiboi and friends on block "got some goons up in every state"
:49 - :53 = pan close up of citiboi
:54 - 1:02 = pan wide of citiboi and friends rapping
1:02 - 1:09 = CUT to model A twirking with citiboi getting hype, GYM scene pan across citiboi and sexy models on equipment,
1:09 - 1:17 = pan across citiboi on street with a tough look, MONTAGE sexy models in different positions
1:17 - 1:24 = b roll of friends, shaking hands with friends
1:24 - 1:32 = sexy models pan, crazy twerk with citiboi going nuts, push into citiboi on block motioning with hands money
1:32 - 1:40 = Citiboi frozen pan in gym with models behind him, citiboi frozen pan with friends behind him
1:40 - 1:47 = motions to camera he'll be back, turns around to models, b roll of street shots
1:47 - 1:55 = Citiboi going into store, CUT picking up 40s, comes out, pops them open with friends, starts drinking
1:55 - 2:03 = chopping it up with model A making her laugh, MONTAGE STREET b roll

2:03 - 2:12 = Model B walks over to light switch slow mo

2:12 - 2:20 = MONTAGE b roll of models

2:20 - 2:35 = MONTAGE b roll of models

2:35 - 3:13 = Flicks switch Lights go off to reveal a neon finger nail paint CUT to MONTAGE neon on sexy models looking sexy Models dancing in neon, close ups of sexual faces, possibly have Citiboi digging Model A from POV

3:13 - 3:31 = CUT to pan across with friends, models stay on equipment, Neon Citiboi leaving with MODEL A, FADE OUT

let me know what you guys think

chris

edit: the only way i think i can make it work is using a lot of slow-mo but of course final cut pro x doesnt have it

I'm a visual guy. I would need to see the video before I can tell you I think.
I'd love to see this video. When are you going to shoot it?
edit: the only way i think i can make it work is using a lot of slow-mo but of course final cut pro x doesnt have it
FCPX does have "slow-mo". Simply use the "Retime" button.

FCPX has Optical Flow slow-mo. Helps if you shoot at a higher frame rate so there's less frame interpolation.

I'm interested to see this. New shot every second for three minutes.... Intriguing..

yeah the reason for the new shot every second is from my own editing experience, i get bored if the frame is on the screen for more than half a second, fast cutting makes the video look somewhat professional and interesting

and plus a video i watched from another young director, he had new shots every half a second and it looked amazing

You are shooting 60fps?

Although I find the approach pretty dogmatic (because to me length is not the only thing that makes a shot boring... it is what happens on screen that determins when it is too long for me), I am very curious about the result.

yeah the reason for the new shot every second is from my own editing experience, i get bored if the frame is on the screen for more than half a second, fast cutting makes the video look somewhat professional and interesting

and plus a video i watched from another young director, he had new shots every half a second and it looked amazing

If you cutting every second for no reason other than to placate your own boredom will make it as professional as saying painting my car red will turn it into a race car. You'd have a better chance to turn the visual diarrhea into the next epilepsy showcase than a masterpiece.

If you want to practice editing, then practice. If you want to become a better editor, get a mentor or study and practice until it bleeds. Repeat until you get the result you desire.

A rigid predetermined edit strategy like this before you have reviewed the footage may paint you into a bad corner. If I were you, I'd plan for quick edits but shoot for longer shots and edit where appropriate for what you have. I'd look at a dual story line and intercutting. I'd also look at a way to add conflict. It'll be safer and easier to produce a good result. The additional benefit is a potential for you to pull out all the tricks and make it great in the edit.

Good luck.

Back