Move to gh5? A7sii?

I bought a gh4/speedbooster setup this month, knowing the gh5 is coming next year.

After shooting with the gh4 (which is very impressive) THEN seeing the recent price drop on it, and realizing my purchases qualify for the extended holiday refund, I'm strongly considering returning it while I can. Not that I don't like the camera, but because I feel this would be my only chance for a while to make a decision on the right camera/investment for me.

The gh4 is awesome, Panasonic has me pretty hooked. With the gh5 coming with a little 4k slow motion and 10 bit 422 I feel interested, however I'm a bit sad about the weak iso performance compared to Sony's a7sii. I don't expect much improvement with the gh5 in that area, and I know I should be more professional/prepared with my shots by bringing proper lighting. I do like to shoot fairly dark scenes with minimal lighting and I feel like an a7sii can shine in that area (get it? :lol:) but other than that Sony hasn't really impressed me.

If I return my gh4 and go for the gh5, should I return the metabones xl as well, in case the crop/compatibility changes?

Are Sony's low light capabilities realistic/usable?

The price for a gh5/speedbooster would be about the same as an a7sii. This whole thing is driving me crazy. I know I'm over thinking this and should just grab a camera and shoot but I don't want it to bug me later down the road. If you made it this far, I thank you for taking the time to read and witness my meltdown :no:

I've rented an a7sii and i absolutely loved it. I shot at night with all practical lighting and it's amazing

You can also close the aperture and up the ISO and you've got an awesome deep focus shot indoors.

Overall, I think you should stop worrying about what camera to buy and just go out and shoot with the camera you have :)

Okay, not the answer you were looking for I know ;)

Personally, I find the A7s/II to be quite liberating in terms of ISO performance. You can stop down and bump the ISO and feel comfortable about it. You can shoot at ISO800 and not have to stress about how bad the noise is going to be.
You can shoot night stuff at ISO 25,600 and overall the noise isn't so bad.

I also find the full frame look to be much more appealing, for my uses and work I do with it, than the m4/3 cropped look.

As always, light your damn shots! ;).

What are you using it for? The GH5 isn't here until next year sometime - so are you not shooting anything til then?

Overall, I think you should stop worrying about what camera to buy and just go out and shoot with the camera you have :)

Okay, not the answer you were looking for I know ;)

Personally, I find the A7s/II to be quite liberating in terms of ISO performance. You can stop down and bump the ISO and feel comfortable about it. You can shoot at ISO800 and not have to stress about how bad the noise is going to be.
You can shoot night stuff at ISO 25,600 and overall the noise isn't so bad.

I also find the full frame look to be much more appealing, for my uses and work I do with it, than the m4/3 cropped look.

As always, light your damn shots! ;).

What are you using it for? The GH5 isn't here until next year sometime - so are you not shooting anything til then?

Haha I know, I know, light my shots and stop worrying about the camera!

I have until January 15th to return my gh4, and the gh5 comes out in January according to the camera store by me.

I have enough time to shoot what I'm working on and return it to best buy. If I go with the a7sii I can get that right away, but I feel like I'd be sacrificing image quality and the look I like with the gh series all for low light performance if I go that route.

But the a7sii temptation continues. And so does my camera lust insanity.

You said you can shoot night stuff with the a7sii and the noise isn't so bad, but is it usable? Thanks for your reply btw!

I've rented an a7sii and i absolutely loved it. I shot at night with all practical lighting and it's amazing

You can also close the aperture and up the ISO and you've got an awesome deep focus shot indoors.

Man that sounds fun. The gh4 irritates me a bit indoors unless I have proper lighting. I have a baby on the way as well, so aside from filmmaking, I'd like to get some dad videos without worrying about noise/quality ;)

Back