DJI Osmo

We have one at work and I'm not a fan. Sure they're pretty idiot proof in that almost anyone can use one, but you lose a lot of fine control in the process. I see electronic gimbal systems like this as kind of a shortcut route to getting good shots and they can't replace a good steadicam/glidecam operator. Try doing anything beyond a basic tracking shot and the Osmo quickly fails. It's great if you don't have the skill/time to develop the skill of proper steadicam operation, but that's about it in my opinion.

We have one at work and I'm not a fan. Sure they're pretty idiot proof in that almost anyone can use one, but you lose a lot of fine control in the process. I see electronic gimbal systems like this as kind of a shortcut route to getting good shots and they can't replace a good steadicam/glidecam operator. Try doing anything beyond a basic tracking shot and the Osmo quickly fails. It's great if you don't have the skill/time to develop the skill of proper steadicam operation, but that's about it in my opinion.

Cool, thanks for the input. Are you referencing ACTUAL steadicam operation, the kind that is big and bulky and has to be worn like a suit? Those things are pretty sweet! I'm a tiny-budget guy, gotta wear lots of hats, definitely don't have the time/resources to use proper steadicam.

I do have a full vest setup, but I'm also flying an URSA mini. For something the size of a DSLR, just the Glidecam portion is all that's needed, and they're just a few hundred dollars. The other big advantage to a Glidecam over the Osmo is that you can use your high quality production camera, rather than what is essentially an action cam.

Back