• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

New character - no image, only sound

Hello,

I have a script where there is a scene that it's black image and only sound is heard, not just lights off but no image at all. In this scene a new character opens the door, comes in and have a talk with someone. In a next scene the scene opens and we see his face.
Do I have to introduce him - capital letters, brief description - in the no-image scene where he starts talking, or later when we see his face?

Thank you!

I've read in some screenplays (I think) where you use a general term for the character like:
"a MAN" or something like that and then when he's revealed you do the description and change to using his name noting the change in title.

I would use his name as his title from the beginning for the sake of clarity to the reader.

I've read in some screenplays (I think) where you use a general term for the character like:
"a MAN" or something like that and then when he's revealed you do the description and change to using his name noting the change in title.

I would use his name as his title from the beginning for the sake of clarity to the reader.

I know this but his name is refered by the other person so I have to write it..

If I understand your question, do you give his physical description if we don't see him. The answer is no. You can describe him in the next scene. If you see his shadow or silohuette then you may wish to give a description of it.

Code:
INT.  BLACK ROOM - NIGHT

The door opens and the silohuette of a large man fills
the space before entering.

MAN
          Ah, come in, Steven.

The door closes thrusting everything into darkness.

STEVEN
          There's been no change, Sir.

MAN
          I feared as much.  No matter.

Back