16:9 aspect ratio mode cameras?

Does anyone know of any good mini DV cameras with 16:9 aspect ratio mode? I'm looking to make something in widescreen format, broadcast quality.....hopefully......eventually. Is it really necessary to use a camera with 16:9, or are there others ways to do this?
Thank you in advance for putting up with a complete newbie. May you have good karma. :mrgreen:

I know there’s at least one prosumer camera that shoots in true wide screen, but I can’t remember the model. Maybe one of the DP types here can point you in the right direction.

One thing to look out for is that some cameras cheat to get a wide aspect ratio. You say you’re a complete newbie, but I’m going to assume you know what a CCD is. If not, just ask. Some cameras will crop the image instead of using the entire chip. Imagine taking your TV and putting a black line on the top and bottom. Others will actually use the entire chip and interpret the input differently and give a true wide screen recording. The reason you want the latter is because by cropping, you loose resolution by using less surface area of the CCD. Also, if you were to watch the piece on a HDTV, it wouldn’t actually show up with the right aspect ratio. The HDTV will play it as a 4:3 image that is cropped rather than a 16:9 at full screen. You’ll pay more for a true 16:9 camera, but in the long run I think it’s worth it.

16:9

Can I suggest that you check out the Sony PD150A, which I'm fairly sure does true anamorphic 16:9. (Don't quote me on this, check for yourself)

Panasonic also has a new camera in the same price rance which also has a 16:9 setting, but I'm not convinced that it's true 16:9. it does however have progressive scan, which makes for a much more filmic image.

You can convert 4:3 into 16:9 in post, but only by cropping the image. This would make framing during the shoot a real pain in the butt, as you'd have no way of really gauging your frame edges. if you do this you are going to loose some of you image, meaning you'll need the best possible mini DV picture you can get. I'd probably suggest DV Cam, rather than mini DV for this. Again the Sony PD150A.

If you check out the Sony, Panasonic and JVC websites you should be able to get specs on all their bottom end broadcast cameras.

The Sony PD150A is a very common ENG camera in the uk. JVC do some interesting bottom end full DV cameras, designed for studio and corporate work. they aren't much more in price than the top end Mini DV cameras. I would be fairly convinced that they'd be switchable between 16:9 and 4:3.

Back