Camera that shoots at high frame rate?

Looking to pick up a camera/camcorder, fell in love with the FS700 footage but not so much with the price tag.

Wondering if there are any other cheaper options for high frame rate shooting?

Cheers

GH4 does 96fps at 1080. There's some cheap still cameras out now that shoot very high frame rates like the Casio EX-ZR100 - but the higher the frame rate, the lower the resolution. By 1000fps you're down to something like 250x100 pixels. Not much else that's going to be less expensive than the FS700.

GH4 does 96fps at 1080. There's some cheap still cameras out now that shoot very high frame rates like the Casio EX-ZR100 - but the higher the frame rate, the lower the resolution. By 1000fps you're down to something like 250x100 pixels. Not much else that's going to be less expensive than the FS700.

Yeah that's the kicker, huh? I'd be looking for something that shoots high frame rate in at least 1080. What can anyone do with 250x100 :lol:

GoPro does 120fps in (I believe) 4k.

If course, there are plenty of reasons not to use a GoPro for certain types of shooting, but if the only criteria is higher frame rates at 1080p or above...

GoPro does 120fps in (I believe) 4k.

If course, there are plenty of reasons not to use a GoPro for certain types of shooting, but if the only criteria is higher frame rates at 1080p or above...

Actually, GoPro only shoots 4k at 15fp. 30fps, 60fps are at 1080p and 120fps is @ 720p.

If you don't mind shooting at 720p a GoPro might be up your alley.

Panasonic just released an interesting new one, the LUMIX DMC-FZ1000 (name just rolls off the tongue doesn't it?) that shoots 120 fps at 1080p and is also capable of 4K video.
All for under a thousand bucks.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._fz1000k_lumix_dmc_fz1000_digital_camera.html

It put me in mind of what RED wanted to do with the fixed lens Scarlet but sadly that project died when they couldn't work out the auto focus.

It's a shame this doesn't do 24p at 4K but maybe it's PAL switchable and you can get 25p out of it.

Neil

Panasonic just released an interesting new one, the LUMIX DMC-FZ1000 (name just rolls off the tongue doesn't it?) that shoots 120 fps at 1080p and is also capable of 4K video.
All for under a thousand bucks.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._fz1000k_lumix_dmc_fz1000_digital_camera.html

It put me in mind of what RED wanted to do with the fixed lens Scarlet but sadly that project died when they couldn't work out the auto focus.

It's a shame this doesn't do 24p at 4K but maybe it's PAL switchable and you can get 25p out of it.

Neil

Curse Red!

& yes -

that looks awesome. Just might have to pick one up if the 120 looks good

Interesting that 3K from a 2/3" sensor for $3K was such a challenge for RED at the beginning of the decade - and now, a few years later, we're getting "4K" from a 1" sensor for $0.8K from a consumer camera company.

Back