3ccd vs. 1 ccd

Hi,
I'm working on my first short film, am I'm in the process and I'm in the process of buying a camera. It's a student film, except I'm doing it independent of my school. I have a decent 1 ccd camera (miniDV digital handycam), but I'm interested in a better 3ccd camera. The problem is, it's really expensive.
So should I save my money and shoot with a 1ccd or go all out with a 3ccd?

Since this is your first short film, your best solution may be to work with what you have right now. When you figure out what, if anything, does not work for you in using that camera, then you can look at upgrading. Perhaps your budget, at this point, would be better spent on camera support and, very importantly, sound.

Regarding 1-chip vs. 3-chip: for small sensors (chips smaller than, say, APS-C), a single chip has a lot of information to cram into a small space. This means that the resolution of the end-product is limited to the capacity of one chip. By splitting the incoming light through a dichroic prism and sending each part (red, green, blue) to its own chip, the workload is spread out and the three signals composited into a single image that has a higher effective resolution. Three chips are always better than one if your camera has 1" sensors or smaller. These days, however, CCD is pretty much obsolete and most cameras use CMOS (some 3-chip CMOS cameras may say "3MOS").

Once you get into larger image sensors, there's enough surface area that collects enough data to create a very detailed image from a single chip. DSLR (both crop sensor and full-frame), Black Magic, Digital Bolex, RED, Alexa... these are all single-chip cameras. Their sensors are large enough that they don't need more than one.

What you may find is your biggest limiting factor right now, at some point, is shooting on a standard-def camera. If you are shooting for Internet distribution, then you need to be able to shoot progressive (24p or 30p). If you can only shoot interlaced, you'll need to deinterlace before publishing to the web, which will cause a reduction in resolution.

Learn with the camera you have. If you can make a good image with limited technology, you'll be in a better place when you have better gear. And if/when you do decide to upgrade, look at HD offerings.

Hi,
I'm working on my first short film, am I'm in the process and I'm in the process of buying a camera. It's a student film, except I'm doing it independent of my school. I have a decent 1 ccd camera (miniDV digital handycam), but I'm interested in a better 3ccd camera. The problem is, it's really expensive.

If you are interested in a better camera for as cheap as you can go, pick up this
For that cam, you'll want to run sound into something separate, like this
3 ccd and Dvx100 and now very old hat for film making...
- Not that you couldn't make a masterpiece with the 1ccd you have (you'd just have to get creative)

You don't need to record audio separate if you're able to get it into the camera, no. But you won't want to try to use that mini plug with a cable much longer than the little pigtail sticks out of those mics, or you're wind up with lots of noise and awful quality audio. Need to run a balanced (xlr) cable over distance, which will improve the signal, and prevent/dramatically reduce RF interference and the like. So, at the very least you'd need an adapter or two, more likely you'd want something like a beachtek or juicedlink interface.

Save money and shoot with what you have.

Make a total of six short films with the camera you now have.
Once you have learned the basics like scheduling cast and crew,
working well on set with them, basic lighting, recording good
audio and telling your story with the camera and you know you
are going to make several more movies then you can upgrade
your camera.

Yes, you can wait. If you are more comfortable waiting until
you have a different camera, that might be the better option
for you. You need to ask yourself; do you want to make several
movie over the next few months or do you want to not make
movies while you save up for a different camera?

Back