Some quick questions

Hi Indietalk.

This is my first post. I joined this forum with posting this in mind. I hope there is somebody who can help.
I have read some of the other posts and they have guided me but I'm still not 100% on some of them.

A quick brief on what its about. I am going to be shooting a pilot episode for a TV show with the main intent of promoting the local guys involved in game development, animated film and comic book/graphic novels. There will be interviews and "news updates" on the progress of these people. We will also have short segments on game, anime and comic reviews for international products. And when there are any geek events held in the country we will do coverage of it as well.

So here are the questions.

1.) With regards to the international segments and reviews. Will I need to get permission to use official trailers, adverts or if I have a short scene from an anime, game play, or images of the actual comic book content.

2.) If I have somebody doing the reviews, not the presenter or somebody hired by the production company but a local guy at a comic shop, do I need them to sign release forms to put them in the show, even if they agree to be apart of it. I will have everybody directly involved sign something. But if it is necessary, will I need one blanket form or will they have to sign a form every episode we use them.

3.) When we film events, there will obviously be tons of people walking around. Am I allowed to film them and use that coverage in the show without having each and every one of them sign off on it.

4.) Related to number three. At the events I will have to get permission to film for TV. I assume I need permission of the owners of the location and permission from the people hosting the event. Is that correct.

5.) This is the last one. And basically I just want any advice from people who have done something similar and ran into situations they didn't expect please. This will be the first product I pitch to a proper channel in hopes of getting the funding to do it right. And I need to be sure I don't screw something up that gets the series dropped and screws me with regards to any of the other shows I have planned.

Thanks a bunch to anybody who can help me with some answers or shove me off in the direction I need to shoved off in. Good luck to all the others that this might help as well.

Talk to an entertainment law professional in your country; laws can vary greatly from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

1. The use of promotional media on a news program is usually okay here in the US; however, the news media has a lot of leeway here. Besides, what company wouldn't want free publicity?

2. Always keep your legal/contractual house in order with everyone involved, so, yes, get release forms and whatever else you need to keep things tidy every single time.

3. Don't know.

4. Most probably, but every situation will be different. BTW, you may need insurance.

5. Preproduction, preproduction, preproduction, preproduction, preproduction, preproduction. You are never prepared enough. Yes, I know that you'll be winging it in the field and even sometime in the studio, but thorough, careful preparation will make it a bit easier to get through hectic times. And I know that it's a real PITA when you're on the fly, but stay on top of your video and audio logs; again, it will save you headaches in post.

3). It depends. Laws can change from place to place and occasionally can change over time. It's something you want to discuss with a lawyer in whatever area you're shooting. The laws here is you can shoot generally and capture people, though if you can single them out (or get a clear enough shot they can be identified) you'll either need to blur them out or get permission.

It's best to check with the laws of where you're shooting though I'd expect similar laws in most of the first world.

4). Permission at events is usually required though isn't always a legal requirement. Most medium to large sized events issue press passes to specific people they give permission to.

5). Everything alcove said + post production. A lot of these shows live or die on their presentation (and pace - don't be slow and/or boring)

Thanks guys for the help. I have sent out some emails to the people I think are in charge of such matters in these parts. Its just a slow process getting anything done when you have to deal with an "official" of any matter.

Back