• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

1 Minute of the IC2 Rough Cut

I'm tacking a scene with interesting effects. I just enhanced the effects for Artemis' touchdown on the planet's surface to be more god-like.

This is what I have so far:

http://vimeo.com/27130481

Password is membersonly

Any suggestions on things to do better?

In the rough cut stage, there is always room for improvement and changes as the production is being put together. It's too late when there final cut comes out. The music is royalty free stuff until later when it will be sound scored. The final sound mix will be done by an audio editing house next year.

This follows the initial intro here http://vimeo.com/26823357 with the same password.

I just shot the sky footage this past Sunday in Forest Park, where the scene that follows was filmed. My camera seems to film darker than my DPs camera. So, I did a work around.

This scene incorporates ideas I was seeking help with last year. And, Ozhair gave me useful suggestions that we worked with here.

This is the last part of the intro before the fun begins where the other characters are introduced in the heat of battle and abduction by the silver demon hunters.

With that and some photoshoppy thing, you should be able to make a shape to animate (not just the position on screen, but scale and rotation as well to fake 3d). Overlaying a couple of roughly star shaped things, rotating in different directions and set to "add" they should blend a bit better and show some dynamic motion within themselves.

Vegas is a strong program and should be able to get you a stronger sense of realism with some time finessing the pieces together. Hand animating the background frame by frame to match the foreground will give you a match move without fancy software (it's just a pain in the butt - but as I've always said, time=money which makes them replaceable in the equation, just spend more time if you haven't got the money).

I'm currently installing final cut on my new laptop and if you provide the clips you've used for one of your shots, I can demonstrate the techniques I'm talking about.

Thanks I'm at work and my laptop and footage is at home. I am thinking of splitting this scene away from the rest if the middle section of the film because of all of the intense effects happening all at once. I have the new sun tracing over the movement of the sun it is superimposed on top of. I also am using the Vegas Light Rays and Glowing Special Effects to animate the second sun.

In my next version, I want to add in audio panning to the ball of energy descending from the sky that is actually Artemis from right to left channel and have the audio diminish as well as make the size get smaller before it explodes like it is making a turn to the ground where Artemis appears.

Hello Knightly,

How would I be able to get you the footage if you want to show me what you have in mind?

The original format is in a unique format to my DPs camera. I had to get a special plug-in for both Windows Vista and Vegas to read it. I may have to convert it to HD avi or something and we may have to do something with a FTP upload and download.

If you have software to read Vegas m2t files, I can copy everything to a DVD+R DL disk and mail it to you. The upload is so slow, you will probably get the DVD before all the files are uploaded. The first file still needs another 18 hours to upload.

Some quick CC/Grading for consideration:

Screen shot 2011-09-21 at 4.51.08 PM.png

Thnx, I also tried it with a reduced vignette/power window which I think makes the forest look less dingy and brighter... I just wanted to punch up the glow on Artemis to show her otherworldliness:

Screen shot 2011-09-21 at 5.04.09 PM.png

Back