• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

"The Cutting Edge"

I just watched The Cutting Edge: The Magic of Movie Editing last night. If you've not seen it, I'd recommend it, especially at the incredibly low price Amazon has for it.

It's not really a "here's how to edit" kind of video, more of a history of editing. But there are quite a few nuggets of greatness throughout (specifically just about everything Walter Murch says).

And for those of you with Netflix accounts, it's on there too. ;)

It's only $12.99 to own on Amazon.com. One of my favorite and oft mentioned feature films as an essential for any filmmaker to watch and own.

NO TO BE CONFUSED WITH THE ICE SKATING MOVIE THE CUTTING EDGE!!!!

Well yes, there's that... though they use it in the sequels too, and DB Sweeney isn't in those. Although perhaps the mind just goes back to that image of him face planting. I dunno, but it's a great example of a two word line that works, and works well. :D

Moira Kelly was adorable too. I do really like the ice skating movie too, but the documentary on editing, especially all the insights from Walter Murch is something I watch every 2-3 months at least once. That and VISIONS OF LIGHT, the cinematography documentary in the same style.

Visions of light is great, it's the same sweeping history of cinematography with some philosophy and theory that Cutting Edge was for editing. There should be a doc like these for every aspect of filmmaking.

Visions of light is great, it's the same sweeping history of cinematography with some philosophy and theory that Cutting Edge was for editing. There should be a doc like these for every aspect of filmmaking.

Agreed.

I think there is one, or perhaps several, on makeup.. I'm sure I've seen some documentary that talked about the beginnings of Max Factor, and Ben Nye, and their contributions to the industry and whatnot..

Recorded both Cutting Edge and Visions of Light off PBS years ago. Watched both multiple times.

Favorite moments: Bill Fraker talking about the phone scene in Rosemary's Baby, the studio wanting to fire Gordon Willis for "under-lighting" The Godfather, Conrad Hall talking about the rain/tears in In Cold Blood.

Fantastic! Need to watch them again.

There is a newer video in cinematography, but it has NO FOOTAGE from other movies, just the interviews with some of the top DP's in the world.

Cinematographer Style http://amzn.com/B00197POY0

51NIEwoQ8XL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Also, I've been getting the Academy's series called JOURNEY'S BELOW THE LINE

EDITING with the show 24
CINEMATOGRAPHY with the show LOST
PROPS AND MAKE UP with the show E.R.

Buying them used at Amazon is pretty cheap, 'cause they are $79 each in some cases.

Back