In Need of Advice

Hi, I'm a writer/author with a book I would really like to see made into an independent film. I realize the odds of doing so are stacked insanely against me, but I am passionate about this story and have decided to give it an honest attempt. However, therein lies the problem. I have no idea where to start...How does one proceed?

What suggestions do you all have in terms of making contact with indie filmmakers to float the story?

Yes, just very recently published (self-published) on the 29th so hard to tell yet how well it will sell. It can be viewed on Amazon by typing in "The Basin" Jeff Quinn or on my website at manonthescene.org

Thank you for the welcome by the way!

The easiest way to turn a book into a film is for the book to find an audience and become a best seller. Then producers will be much more successful at getting funds for the film.

If that doesn't work... well then you need a book that would be simple to film.

No rock operas with dragons in outer space.

I suppose one way you could do it, if they don't want to read the whole book yet, is to write a pitch & a synopsis to give producers & directors an overview of the story. If they're interested, maybe they'll ask you for a treatment.
And I agree that it helps to keep it simple for the budget.

As Sean said, if it was a best seller, studios would be all over you to secure the film rights. Unless and until it proves itself to be popular, your best bet is to find a screenwriter to adapt the story to a screenplay and try to sell it that way. The most proactive thing you can do to make your book popular is to promote the living hell out of it and try to get it picked up by a "real" bookseller.

Back