Abandoned building

So I have found a location for a shot for my short film and its an abandoned old building. I wouldn't really have a big crew, it would be like me and 5 other people total. I was thinking that I could probably make it in and out without being caught. What kind of trouble could you get in if you get caught? Do you think it's worth it? I could not find any locations like this anywhere near me.

It's trespassing. For some unknown reason I happen to know it's about a $500 ticket in my state.

But yeah, people steal shots all the time. Also, abandoned or condemned? Gotta think physical safety too.

What do you think the probability is of you getting caught by those d@mn do-gooder neighbors?

Consider finding out who owns the property via your county's tax records (could be a relatively simple internet search), contact the owner, get written permission, let your local PD and the neighbors know.

Unless you and your film cast & crew have some really d@mn good ninja skills!

ninja-hiding.jpg

More than the potential ticket, or night in jail, if something happens to anyone - and lawyers are unbelievably good at finding a something or an anyone - you can get sued. At the very least you can wind up with lawyers fees and court costs; at the worst it could take you the rest of your life to pay it off.

Want an example? A man was chopping down a tree on his property (property A) with an axe. The law suit against him claims that the sound of the chopping caused a dog on property C to start howling. This upset another dog on property D, who lunged at a child trespassing through property E. The parents of the child suing all four property owners. Yes, they are suing the man chopping the tree, the owner of the howling dog, the owner of the lunging dog and the owner of the property upon which their child was trespassing (for not having a large enough "No Trespassing" sign) because their child has been traumatized for life or some such BS. It has cost each owner several thousands dollars and lots of hours in court. Still no resolution in sight after four years.

Alcove that is crazy! What is the world coming to? Was that in the States?

There was one here a while ago where a lady was taking a park to court because she almost got hit by a cricket ball as she was walking past. They had to change the rules so you couldn't hit the ball for 6 (out of the park) anymore. That'd be like taking homeruns out of a baseball game! I mean, sure it might be a hazard but if you're walking past a match in progress just have some awareness!

The point being, Fwilly, that people can take you to court for anything these days, and its best to err on the side of caution. Plus paying fines or having the cops disrupt your shoot doesn't sound like a particularly nice situation to be in. If its possible to get permission you should try, it might just be easier than you think.

Alcove that is crazy! What is the world coming to? Was that in the States?

Yup, extreme north west Connecticut near the Massachusetts.

A few more just for fun.....

Woman Sues Dead Man
In 2008, Gayane Zokhrabov was standing on a train platform when she was struck by portions of an unfortunate young man who had just been hit by an oncoming train. When she tried to sue the accident victim, the judge dismissed the case saying the man couldn’t have known where his body was going to strike. Uh, because he was dead.

Old Guy Sues Young People Contest
In a case of irony so thick it should be an Alanis Morrisette song, a man sued the Young Concert Artist competition for age discrimination. Martin Stoner, 60, was a violinist with the New York City Ballet orchestra. He lost his job, then tried to compete for the Young Concert Artists prize, valued at $75,000. Since Stoner was 60 and had been playing for the ballet for 25 years, he wasn’t allowed to compete. So, he did what any American would do: he filed an injunction to stop the contest. After his case was thrown out due to filing errors, he refiled and got the same judge. He then complained that the 88-year-old judge had too many “mental and physical limitations” and was “too old” to fairly try Stoner’s case. (The judge allowed the contest to proceed without the plaintiff.)

Jesse Dimmick Sues Couple He Kidnapped
Kidnappers don’t get no respect. Jesse Dimmick, a fugitive murder suspect, kidnapped a young couple and claimed he entered into a verbal contract with them. The terms were that they would hide him from the law in return for an unspecified about of money. Unsurprisingly, the couple turned him in and in the resulting arrest, Dimmick was shot in the back by police. The couple sued Dimmick for $75,000 for trespassing, intrusion, and emotional distress. Dimmick countersued for $235,000, claiming the couple violated their contract with him. The couple’s lawyer noted in his response to the counterclaim that a contract couldn’t be entered into, because hiding a fugitive is illegal. The judge agreed; the counterclaim was dismissed.

So I have found a location for a shot for my short film and its an abandoned old building. I wouldn't really have a big crew, it would be like me and 5 other people total. I was thinking that I could probably make it in and out without being caught. What kind of trouble could you get in if you get caught? Do you think it's worth it? I could not find any locations like this anywhere near me.

No idea about you, but over here, the issue is we would have to stop filming, be arrested and pay a fine. However, I'd do it.

I just filmed at a decommissioned military base. I was hesitant to even try to get permission, because it just seemed like the owner wouldn't want the liability, etc. I tracked him down, called him up, and he gave us complete run of the place and told us to have fun (and signed a location release). I'd suggest going the legal route. It's way less risky, and you might be surprised.

The old adage "it's better to beg forgiveness than to ask permission" is dead as a hammer. If the property owner saw the footage he could demand compensation and go after any assets you have. 99 percent of lawyers give the other 1 percent a bad name.

Back