Producer Rep Fee? What should I do?

Ok, so I had a rep. from a producer rep group contact me through facebook and say they wanted to see my wonderful film (exact words) that had recently made a film festival. So I sent them a copy of it, and then about a month later they contacted me and said they wanted to represent me but for a retainer fee of $2,500. I told them I couldn't afford it and would have to pass on their offer. They called back and said they'd lower it to $1,500 and make up the $1,000 difference in the distribution deal they'll get for the film. So now I'm considering it, since they were willing to lower the fee. Since they lowered the fee they've been contacting me a couple times a week, really pushing for me to sign a deal with them telling me my film has a really good chance to get distribution in the international film market, and that they want to start getting it out at some really good opportunities at the beginning of the new year.

Does this sound legit? Or am I being bamboozled?

Last edited:
Even so-called "legitimate" agents and producers who don't want to get a real job are taking people's money. You see what appears to be legitimate professionals all over the entertainment industry... Media distributors who run unprofitable businesses whereby THEY get paid but their suppliers get paid pennies on the dollar. Eventually they declare bankruptcy if the venders won't "settle". Then you have the casting agents who earn kickbacks from photographers when they tell their actors "Oh you need new pictures". You really have to keep your eye on the money. That's what they're after.

Very true. :grumpy:

Thank god I found you all. I got a similar generic looking email this morning from the same company: "[...] would like to see if you have any interest in speaking with us about possible distribution opportunities for this film and your other projects." Apparently they knew my film was at a short festival.
At the same address with the same suite number is another business, and it's not an entertainment law firm. Strange right...? Some could call them and ask?
Law Offices Of Nikhil M. Shah
Marina del Rey Office
4640 Admiralty Way
Suite 500
Marina del Rey, CA 90292
Fax: 310-496-5735

Bottom line never pay anything upfront in the entertainment business, agents pay themselves once they make the deal, no matter it's a film, director, writer, actor or model. Yes, fishy..,:no:

Good luck with your film!

Thank god I found you all. I got a similar generic looking email this morning from the same company: "[...] would like to see if you have any interest in speaking with us about possible distribution opportunities for this film and your other projects." Apparently they knew my film was at a short festival.
At the same address with the same suite number is another business, and it's not an entertainment law firm. Strange right...? Some could call them and ask?
Immigrations law attorney, according to AVVO. LOL
I heard that attorneys are required by law to declare what areas they specialize in. I guess it's possible that AVVO has outdated info, but nevertheless that's what I found. Are you trying to immigrate to the US in order to solicit your film? LOL

This was a fun thread.

Reminds me of this story… co-worker had a cousin that won the internet lottery. they were trying to get a couple thousand from him for some kind of transfer fees.

I told them that he should tell the guys, take the fee's out of his winnings.. well.. they sent over some forms, did just that and they gave the dude like $700,000 o__0 turns out it was legit

Marina del Rey Office
4640 Admiralty Way
Suite 500
Marina del Rey, CA 90292
Fax: 310-496-5735

Bottom line never pay anything upfront in the entertainment business, agents pay themselves once they make the deal, no matter it's a film, director, writer, actor or model. Yes, fishy..,:no:

Good luck with your film!
Not sure why everyone is bashing these guys for having an office address even if it is a shared office space with multiple other company's. I know of lots of independent film distributors, Reps, etc that work from there home or apartment.

Many of them use mailbox places with forwarding address or even just PO Box's. Its common business practice to use services like http://www.regus.com/ for space.

This is actually the way of the world nowadays where many different types of company's work from centers like this.

I think its actually really good these guys have a professional address to conduct business from.

Like all things in life not all producer’s reps are evil, scam artists or scumbags. Many do a great job and are more than fair with the filmmakers they work for.

They can be an amazing part of a marketing and distribution team for your independent film, if you got into some of the major festivals.
I’m hear to warn you about the other kind of producer’s rep, the predatory, conman that loves to promise the world and deliver nothing to the already broke filmmaker. I was burned by one of these grifters early in my journey as a indie filmmaker and producer.

This producer’s rep, which will remain nameless (if you want this bottom dweller's name message me), took me for over $10,000, the standard up front free for the bottom dwellers of the profession, though it can range from $5000 – $15,000. She promised me and the director I was producing for that the HBO deal was all but a lock and that she could definitely sell it oversees.

Check this out: What's a Producer's Rep and How Not to be Ripped off

It goes over in detail when, if ever you would use a Producer's Rep and how not to be ripped off!

Keep your eye on the prize,
Alex Ferrari

Indie Film Hustle
www.indiefilmhustle.com

Watch our YouTube Show :: Tips from the Trenches
Become a Fan: www.facebook.com/indiefilmhustle
Follow us @indiefilmhustle
Instagram @ifilmhustle

Listen to the IFH Podcast: iTunes

Last edited:
Back