Insurance

I am a low-budget, start-up freelance Producer, and I need some info about getting insurance for equipment. I have talked to one Production Insurance Company that says insurance for renting equipment is $400/dy and $4000/yr. Any recommendations on how to bring this price down? I am interested in renting HD cameras, basic light kits, and booms and wireless lavs. Let me know!

$400/day seems a little high. But you aren't going to
get get a lot better.

Check with the rental houses - ask them where they
recommend getting the insurance. Some places (Alan
Gordon for example) carry their own.

I know a few places in Los Angeles - which Production
Insurance Company did you get the $400.day quote from?

I don't have their info, but I found $500 for a week (though I didn't buy it) here in the Nashville area. Some rental houses will self insure for $100 a day in this area also. I established a relationship with the rental house and in addition to renting me $1500 worth of gear for $500, they also didn't make me get insurance.

Depends on your coverage. You can get $200,00, $300,000, $1,000,000, etc. You should get insurance for what your equipment is worth, and then shop around. If you are production company get yearly. If you are a filmmaker, get short-term.

Sorry it took me a while to respond and say thanks for the advice. I wish I got emails to alert me everytime I got a reply. But anyway, I got the $400/dy quote from Film Emporium out of NY and L.A. Directorik, what are the insurance companies you know in L.A.? Could I please get the names? I've been talking with Abel Cine Tech rental house also out of NY and LA. I'll see if they have any recs

Film Emporium is legit, and the price will be comparable to the others. You need to give them the exact number of shooting days and the amount of coverage you want for a real quote.

PS. Click subscribe for email notification.

insurance

in Canada. insurance for equip[ment is 16 cents on the dollar, with a min of 300 a day. location insurance, 2m coverage is 1200 a year, and u can go to as many locations as u want with a city permit. I have heard that 5m location insurance is on the way in for most cities

call around, the rates are all over the place.

also, look for a package truck that is an owner operator. you may find one that the equipment is covered.

Last edited:
Basically they are all agents for the same insurance company. The quote will be the same, just avoid the policy fee, some agents get extra money with this. I used www.aeinsurance.com; good quote, no policy fee.

Back