movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

The Purge - 6/10 - was intense at the right moments, but very stereotypical and it reminded me of watching an anti-gun/violence ad from a liberal think tank...

Argo - 10/10
Excellent poli thriller.
Any film that can make me squirm in my seat and my feet sweat from stress has done a good job selling me the story.
Ben done good.

"Argo fuck yourself." :lol:

$(KGrHqZ,!qwFEyzgtS0jBRN5yvwsV!~~60_35.JPG

'Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.'
Mark Twain​
:lol: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argo_(2012_film)#Historical_inaccuracies

The Good Doctor - 3/10
Tedious.
Turned it off 20min in.

Last edited:
Zero Dark Thirty - 9.5/10
Excellent film.
Only strike against it is its absence of pure "entertainment" value. It's like... a VERY good documentary which can only address the high points of any incredibly large process.
This film should foster a great appreciation for the huge number of assets devoted for the pursuit of a single human being. It's truly incredible.
Production wise, this was a very well spent $40M. Multiple locations are expensive to to transport cast, crew, and equipment from - even from one side of a city or building.
Consider 'Dream House' spent $50M and got sh!t in a leaky sack.
KB spent 80% of that and has so much more to show for it. Respect.

I just enjoyed the shit out of Man of Steel!

I apologize for the laziness, but I'm just gonna copy/paste what I wrote over on rottentomatoes:

Holy Shit, they went full-blown Sci-Fi! Man of Steel is enough of a departure from the conventions of the Superhero genre that love it or hate it, no reasonable person could deny this single truth -- Zach Snyder, et all, have created something entirely brand new.

The wholesome character we fell in love with 30+ years ago remains intact, though perhaps now he's got a little more pent-up angst. Russel Crowe, Diane Lane, and Kevin Costner all deliver earnest performances as three of Supes' four parents, laying bare the moral framework that guides the transformation of our hero.

Man of Steel employs a not-entirely-linear story structure, which works really well to keep our character firmly rooted in Americana, while maintaining the immediacy of a story that has every indication of a catastrophic alien invasion of Earth.

I went into this movie trying my best to keep my optimism reserved, seeing as how much it's being pooh-poohed by so many critics. I left the film reminded of why I hate critics (and why I almost regret once being one).

Yes, Man of Steel has some flaws, and the main one I'd point out would be a storyline that sometimes becomes a bit too convenient and/or plot-holey. But if you let that ruin an otherwise rousing good time, then I think you should just stay home and stick with Netflix.

I REALLY enjoyed Man of Steel, A LOT! So much so that I'm forced to adjust the grades I've given to every other movie I've seen this year. Star Trek is no longer an A+. Iron Man 3 has been downgraded to a B+, and so has This is the End, simply because Man of Steel has reminded me what it's like when a director truly swings for the fences. Zach Snyder is a trailblazer, and I love him for that. His latest work is easily his strongest, and it gets a solid A in my book!

Cloud Atlas.

I liked it. It's interesting. Recommend. The cure for the common Hollywood film.

Not pitch perfect. It hit a few wrong notes for me. I don't know if that's the Wachowskis' fault or David Mitchell's fault or both.

But it's interesting.

I do appreciate the Wachowskis' anti-authority, anti-authoritarian disposition.

Look, I don't want to knock anyone's work. I'm sure that the make-up artists on this crew did as good of a job as anyone could have. It's just that they were given an unlikely, or even an impossible task, apparently. But hey, they tried. They gave it the ol' college try, and that's what counts. But the attempt to make non-Korean actors look Korean just didn't work, did it?

Anyway, a mostly positive review from me.

But did they really need to kill Robert Frobisher? Wouldn't a last minute save have been nice? Anyway.

And I just love Tome Hanks. Who doesn't?

And hey...I don't wan't to be a homewrecker... But hey...Hanks and Berry make a pretty hot couple, huh? Just sayin'.

Cosmopolis. You know, I'm not sure what to make of it. You know, Cronenberg, so I want to like it. I did find it interesting. It's as if the actors are just reading their lines throughout the film. Mostly. But it's pretty clear that that's intentional. So does that work? I dunno. But overall I did watch it to the end, though not in one sitting.

Naked Lunch. Been a looooong time since I saw this. I just picked up the Criterion Blu-ray. I'm not as impressionable now as when I first saw it. Has it been censored? Anyway. It's interesting still. Recommend.

Man of Steel 8/10

It was really good but failed to connect to me from start to finish, it just didnt make me think wow! whereas dark knight rises did.

I prefer films where just coz your super doesnt mean your undefeatable, which is basically what didnt happen, not at one point was he in danger, there was no near death element to make me feel for him, it was basically he was god and had some low points but still kicked ass.

none the less a great movie and worth a watch!

But isn't that the "problem" with Superman? In RPG parlance, he is a "god character." That's why god characters make everyone groan...in role playing games.

But isn't that the "problem" with Superman? In RPG parlance, he is a "god character." That's why god characters make everyone groan...in role playing games.

nope, Batman I believe was the only person who knew how to kill superman easily.. I think he even told him that if he wanted to he could have killed him, but he didnt.. thats why Batman rules...

I think Batman being able to "kill him easily" doesn't make Superman not a god character.

Agreed. Especially since that only happened in comic books, which I do not recognize as official canon. This is a filmmaker website, the only thing that actually counts is what happens in movies! I'm quite positive that Superman would kick Batman's ass.

The place beyond the pines

There is a good reason why there are certain rules of screewriting/storytelling that should not be broken. I mean you kill the main character? WTF? not counting multiple unbelievable things/characters,robbery,random guy who quits and goes back to robbing banks,gets an insane make up and quits again bla bla bla. A rookie cop who is ALONE on the patrole ...

And now he has depression.... because he killed a dad who is not living with his family and is robbing banks. I am about to cry.
Wait... I don't give a f about this cop who I have seen for the first time 5mins ago.

There was Pulp fiction,Snatch,Magnolia who all utilised multiple storylines tied together and all of them worked because they had several main characters and they looked at each one individually but at the same time. Intercutting the stories. Not backstabbing them.

Quite disappointed.

Exsistenz and Videodrome

Perfect casting!
Videodrome was more impressive,both films are really cooool,immerse you in the weird world of Cronenberg. Storywise I think they both lack smth,just as Naked lunch. Really cool beginnings and med part , but than they sort of slop and end too abruptly. Short series made about similar theme would be brilliant!

Oz: The Great and Powerful

7/10

A fun movie. I thought some of the characters were a bit too odd acting but overall it was fun to watch. Not a classic like the original though.

I recently saw Naked by mike Leigh
I give it a 9/10
It was filled with very dark humor and great cinematogrpahy.great examples of shadows and chiaroscuro

Back