• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Covering Songs

to be short and to the point,

If I were to make an instrumental cover of a song, would it be legal to use it in a film without the original composer's consent? People keep telling yes and no. I am sure I can get a good answer here

I never wondered about that, but I want to film a little girl playing darts all along the movie (10 minutes) while using the music that comes along with the game, over and over the same untill she discover a new game.
Should I ask I don't know who? for the rights on that music? I really want to take the original, no covering there...

Last edited:
You will need to ask the makers of the game. Chances are they will own the copyright to the music. You would let then know what you need it for eg: short film that will hopefully get played at a few festivals and they would come back with what they want in return for the sync rights. No harm in asking.

thx for the advice :)

I actually realize it can also be a good advertising for them as the melody is gonna stay like a earworm in the viewers' heads (hopefully :rolleyes: )
Point for negociation, I am in.

Back