Creative Commons Music for Indie Filmmakers

Hey Guys!

I know a lot of you guys are always on the hunt for new music to use in your projects, so I'm hoping a few of you might be interested in my site...

http://www.scottbuckley.com.au

I'm a composer who releases his music for free download under the Creative Commons Attribute/NonCommercial license, meaning you are free to use any of the music I make available, as long as...

- your project is non-commercial
- you credit me in your project
- you let me know you used my music (via my website or email).

I have a pretty big catalogue (slowly centralising it all on my site), and I'm keen for people to just start using it. I generally release new music every week, and it varies greatly from your epic orchestral stuff to ambient, jazz and pop. So it pays to check back every once in a while to download any of the new music I've created.

If you're a bit dubious about the quality - I've been writing for quite a few years, and my music has featured heavily in game & film, but also film advertising & TV spots for films like 'Terminator: Salvation', '10,000BC' and the upcoming 'Cowboys & Aliens'. It's good music - and I hope some of you will be interested enough to have some fun with it.

So check out my music, and if you like it, use it (non-commercially... for commercial licensing, or if you have a question about whether your project applies, contact me!).

Cheers guys,

Scott Buckley

I just found you on Facebook, Scott, and truly appreciate your decision to go creative commons. Say a short film or independent feature makes the film festival circuit and does well with an opportunity for some commercial success, how do you negotiate your fee?

I'm not entirely familiar with Creative Commons rules. What if a film using your music was entered into a festival and won a cash prize?

I'm not entirely familiar with Creative Commons rules. What if a film using your music was entered into a festival and won a cash prize?

You can check out the license I'm using here... http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/

There is a section in the legalese side which talks about commerciality...

You may not exercise any of the rights granted to You in Section 3 above in any manner that is primarily intended for or directed toward commercial advantage or private monetary compensation.

You might read this differently, but... in my opinion, although there could be a financial windfall if a film entry wins a category in a film festival, entering a film festival is not PRIMARILY about winning the money - its about gaining notoriety and having your film viewed by new audiences, and to receive feedback in the process. So personally, I would have no problem with you using my music for film festival purposes. Just be sure to promote the hell out of my music for me ;).

BUT... say, if your festival success leads to a distribution deal (DVD, cinematic release, etc.), then this license does not apply and you will need to contact me about a commercial use license.

Say a short film or independent feature makes the film festival circuit and does well with an opportunity for some commercial success, how do you negotiate your fee?

If you start gearing up for commercial release, then contact me about licensing. Generally I'm pretty lenient with scope of use, and with pricing - but it will vary depending on your intentions. Best thing would be just to contact me and we can chat :)

Hope that helps a bit... if in doubt, just ask :).

-s

Thanks, Scott. I think it's fair to say that no one here wants to be taken advantage of, or wants you to be taken advantage of. Any type of commercial success would be cause for huge celebration, including paying those that contributed. A deal is a deal.

Good luck with this and I hope to be contacting you some time in the future. Are you composing to scripts also?

Great music, thanks for making it available. We use CC licensed music extensively in our work, I've listened to a lot of it over the past few years in an effort to build up a library of interesting music we can use - it's rare to find someone with consistently good tracks like yours! I'm certain we'll find an opportunity to use some of it later this year.

I'm really glad you guys like. As I said, I'm always releasing new tracks so keep updated by visiting the site regularly, or follow me on twitter or facebook... [ obligatory self-promotion :) ]

-s

They sound awesome! I have a question though. If I were to use these, they would be attached to youtube videos. Now currently I have no ads and I am not a partner. But if were to attached ads to my videos or become a partner in the future, would that be considered commercial? I have no idea. Thanks!

They sound awesome! I have a question though. If I were to use these, they would be attached to youtube videos. Now currently I have no ads and I am not a partner. But if were to attached ads to my videos or become a partner in the future, would that be considered commercial? I have no idea. Thanks!

Don't stress... I have no issues with you using my music in YouTube videos with ads. It's just too hard to follow that kinda thing up, so meh. If you make oodles of money from it... consider sending a donation my way :D

Just be sure to credit me :) ..oh, and send me a link!

-s

For sure man! :D Thank you for your reply. I listened to everything you had on your website and am beginning to spin ideas simply based off the music you offer. You are the man. :yes:

Back