• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Feature movie- music question

hello everyone. I am working on my first feature movie. I am hoping for it to be shown in film festivals and what not.

my question is about music. Am i allowed to use any song that i want? or do i need permission?
thanks

There are literally thousands of bands willing to place their songs for credit only. You will still have to obtain Synchronization Rights. A festival use agreement is usually enough.

As was mentioned, MySpace is a good place to start, I've found lots of great stuff. Also, as mentioned, Google; even more great stuff if you are patient and persistant.

Last edited:
Hey Teto,

Tell us a little about the premise of your film and what kind of music you want or what job it would do in the film. Music can be used a lot of different ways. A pop song could accompany a montage sequence, or big operatic orchestral music with taiko drums could underscore robots setting each other on fire...etc.

The role you need the music to play might determine the source you go to. As mentioned above, it can run the spectrum from emailing someone you come across (who has songs you like) on Myspace, to using tracks from music libraries, to using a friends band, or having someone write underscore cues specifically for your film. Could be a combination of all those approaches. There are varying scenarios of cost and/or permission. Like all other things, budget is a big factor.

If you want a good score try and avoid too much pre-recorded music. If you can, get a professional to write a score FOR YOU it will fit your film perfectly and greatly enhance the visuals.

Back