Movie suggestions for different tastes

This thread is for those who have a certain taste in movies but don't know what movies satisfy that taste. You can either explain what your are looking for in a movie or you could name a movie as an example of your taste and others make suggestions to you based on that info.

One of the best romantic comedy movies I've watched is the french movie "Russian dolls" which is the second movie of a trilogy. I haven't been able to find any other romantic movies as delicately depicted as this one. This movie has the most beautiful romantic narrative in my opinion.

Anyone knows any other movies that has these qualities? I'm not looking for a romantic movie in general, I am looking for a movie with really detailed and delicate romantic sequences like this one.

Last edited:
Great idea for a tread! I'm always finding specific movies I love and want more of that vibe but can't find it.

I loved "It Follows" because of it's nod to 80's horror films soundtracks without being jokey and also the original premise of the film itself. Are there other interesting modern horror films along these lines?

Great idea for a tread! I'm always finding specific movies I love and want more of that vibe but can't find it.

I loved "It Follows" because of it's nod to 80's horror films soundtracks without being jokey and also the original premise of the film itself. Are there other interesting modern horror films along these lines?

I'm not aware of any modern movies like that. But there was a movie which I can't remember the name of :lol:, it had a similar vibe. It was about college students who turned into monsters and whoever was turned would drink lots of water. The whole movie happened in a college campus. It was from 90's. I watched it when I was very little.

However there is a short horror comedy movie with a fantastic 80's vibe. It's name is "Hair Wolf". It hasn't premiered yet. But the trailer is out. check it out. see if you like it. But it's jokey so you may not like it. It's this year's sundance winner.

Trick or treat 2007 . It's really good. A perfect classic Halloween movie in my opinion. This one has some comedy vibe too, but I think you'll like it.

I'm not aware of any modern movies like that. But there was a movie which I can't remember the name of :lol:, it had a similar vibe. It was about college students who turned into monsters and whoever was turned would drink lots of water. The whole movie happened in a college campus. It was from 90's. I watched it when I was very little.

That kind of sounds like the Faculty... which I do like. Surprisingly, it was directed by Robert Rodriguez; I always forget he did that one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig9HztI9-nY

Thanks for the suggestions about the other movies. I really dig Trick r' Treat. I'll have to check out Hair Wolf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8ngDiG9V8w

Lost river has a similar vibe.... but its more on the surreal side, and misses something it follows has.... a story.

So, any suggestions for movies with similar vibe as " Russian dolls" ? What I mean by "Vibe" is explained in my first post.

Also anyone knows any neo-noir movies with the same vibe as David lynch's movies?( specially blue velvet and mullholand drive and lost highway) . Every neo-noir movie I've seen so far is not like David Lynch's movies, people suggest federico fellini but to be honest his movies are nothing like lynch. So any Post modern neo-noir movies like that?

So, any suggestions for movies with similar vibe as " Russian dolls" ? What I mean by "Vibe" is explained in my first post.

Also anyone knows any neo-noir movies with the same vibe as David lynch's movies?( specially blue velvet and mullholand drive and lost highway) . Every neo-noir movie I've seen so far is not like David Lynch's movies, people suggest federico fellini but to be honest his movies are nothing like lynch. So any Post modern neo-noir movies like that?

These might not be just like Lynch, but maybe along those lines.

Enemy - Denis Villeneuve
Nightcrawler - Dan Gilroy
The Double - Richard Ayoade
Neon Demons - Nicholas Winding Refn (from what I remember, this one might actually be pretty close. The score is really good too.)
Southland Tales - Richard Kelly (This one might be a stretch)

These might not be just like Lynch, but maybe along those lines.

Enemy - Denis Villeneuve
Nightcrawler - Dan Gilroy
The Double - Richard Ayoade
Neon Demons - Nicholas Winding Refn (from what I remember, this one might actually be pretty close. The score is really good too.)
Southland Tales - Richard Kelly (This one might be a stretch)

Thanks! I've seen all of them except for enemy and southland tales, will give them a try. Nightcrawler is not a noir movie in my opinion. also Neon demons was a really bad movie. If you enjoyed neon demons I suggest you watch the french movie "Raw" It's a lot better.
Also god bless you for knowing the name of the movie "The faculty" I always wanted to watch this movie again but I couldn't remember the name of. I ended up searching monsters in college or monsters drinking water in college :)) and it was no help. Thanks to you I watched it again today after 20 years of wait.

Yeah, Enemy is probably closer than Southland Tales. But Southland Tales is really interesting. I hated it the first time I watched it. But for some reason i came back to it and loved it the second time. I think it was too dense for a single viewing or something.

Thanks for the heads up on Raw. I've never seen it.

Oops, I remember now that I watched enemy too. The double was better in my opinion, given the similar duplicate characters scenario.

There is a movie called the freak cirques: the vampire's assistant (2009) although this movie scored low, I loved it's cozy mysterious ambient. Although this movie is an adaptation from the Darren shan books, it's ambient design is a masterpiece in my opinion. Any other movies with this vibe?

Neon demons was a really bad movie. If you enjoyed neon demons I suggest you watch the french movie "Raw" It's a lot better.

The Neon Demon..... Its a surreal movie that deals with a lot of MGTOW philosophy. I liked it., but I can understand that you fell a big disconnect towards the main protagonist.

The Neon Demon..... Its a surreal movie that deals with a lot of MGTOW philosophy. I liked it., but I can understand that you fell a big disconnect towards the main protagonist.

I know it's a surreal movie, and believe me I love surreal movies ( Lynch is my most favorite filmmaker afterall) But the movie fails in execution. I believe no matter the genre, the movie should have a solid and engaging story. good surreal movies have strong stories too, weak surreal movies however focus on the ambient only. This movie belongs to the latter group. A beautiful innocent young girl from the country side travels to LA to become a famous model. That's it! The rest are just portrayal of what is going on in the fashion industry, how shallow it is, how desperate people get. They become so consumed with the idea of fame that they are willing to eat her flesh to earn that status. This movie is a criticism on the fashion industry, and that's a good criticism too, but it could be executed with a lot better story line.
Take mulholland drive for instead, it has the same premise in the story, an innocent girl travels to LA to become a famous actor, but you see how the story unveils itself during the course of the movie? The protagonist instead of only REACTING to her surroundings, is constantly trying to achieve something. The protagonist in neon demons however is a completely passive character only reacting to what is happening around her. Lots of other issues too, but it would be too long a post for that. If you want to talk more detailedly about it PM me.

Back