The Problem with Movies

If that is a problem you might want to consider watching stills instead ;)

Moving should be the goal!
Amaze, scare, depress, shock, thrill or make them laugh, smile, yearn, cry (from grieve, relief or happiness) or feel triumphant or in love.

On my bucket list are:
- making a moving that is so moving the viewer wishing (s)he was dead. (Like Requiem for a Dream.)
- making a movie that makes one feel in love with the world and filled with wonder.

It might take me the rest of my life to accomplish that....

His joke is too meta for you guys.

MOVE... EE.

ha

Maybe you can start a new wave of films that aren't powerful enough to move people, feature length movies with no story, just visuals of waterfalls, clouds, aquariums, lint...
Not moving, but somehow... just... there...

feature length movies with no story, just visuals of waterfalls, clouds, aquariums, lint...
Not moving, but somehow... just... there...

Andy Warhol has you covered; EAT, SLEEP, COUCH, HAIRCUT, etc. Here is the description of his movie,EMPIRE:

A single shot of the Empire State Building from early evening until nearly 3 am the next day.

When ever you have a spare 485 minutes, you may want to check it out. :crazy:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0196530/?ref_=nm_flmg_prd_32

I guess I don't get it... Movies should move us. They enlighten, enrich, entertain, and move us. That's really not a problem.

If movies didn't touch us in some way, they would be nothing but pointless blocks of time disguised as something else.... Kind of like the majority of today's movies.

I guess I don't get it... Movies should move us.

Yeah, we're joking around about that. I'm trying to figure what got under Richy's skin. He started the thread and then failed to elaborate about it. I'm guessing that something really mindf#%ked him. Hopefully, he's okay. :hmm:

Did something move you recently?

Yes. :)

Don't go to a D-Box theater.

:lol: That made me laugh out loud for real. Thank your for that. <3

If that is a problem you might want to consider watching stills instead ;)

Moving should be the goal!
Amaze, scare, depress, shock, thrill or make them laugh, smile, yearn, cry (from grieve, relief or happiness) or feel triumphant or in love.

On my bucket list are:
- making a moving that is so moving the viewer wishing (s)he was dead. (Like Requiem for a Dream.)
- making a movie that makes one feel in love with the world and filled with wonder.

It might take me the rest of my life to accomplish that....

So true. Well said.

How is that a problem?

Good question. I was just being ironic. Well…mostly. My love for them has waned somewhat these days. Or become more complicated, conflicted…or maybe…even a bit mistrustful or even resentful.

sounds like a terrence malick film

LMAO. That gave me a good and much appreciated, chortling laugh. <3

Yeah, we're joking around about that. I'm trying to figure what got under Richy's skin. He started the thread and then failed to elaborate about it. I'm guessing that something really mindf#%ked him. Hopefully, he's okay. :hmm:

Hugs, Scoop! Sorry I didn't answer right away. I was afraid I had made another frivolous thread and IT might be cross with me for it. So I thought maybe I shouldn't feed it. Thank for you for your thoughtful responses, as always! :)

Yeah. I re-watched a film that moves me and was moved to post about that experience, haha. But these days I have mixed feelings about that, about movies generally, the business, the aspiration to be a part of it, etc. That's where it was coming from. Nonetheless, there I was, watching a movie I had already seen and getting my socks knocked off (emotionally) AH-gain. :)

Back