• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Hiring someone to distribute a film

I'm not talking about a completed film, nor we have any demo. But we do consider to hire someone to distribute the film after it is ready. The problem is - we don't pay as much as a known production company can pay. We are not established enough to make deals with media publishing companies. Actually, we don't make a feature-length movie to come up with to someone. We make a 20 minute film to show the concept and maybe get a client to buy it, or invest to have us making a feature-length movie or TV series.

So the distributor has to do the most dirty job - come to producers, investors, filmmakers and find a client/investor. This is a dirty job when one doesn't have any prior experience and portfolio. So, the question is - will the hired person have the motivation to do his job at 100%? Because this is not being a part of the casting crew, nor participate in the production/post-production process. He doesn't get any filmmaking credits, only some cash, which he can earn working a few days in a manufacture.

Or maybe should we make him do something for the film, so that he will have the motivation to distribute it. But then, he will probably want to do his filmmaking job, not the distribution. What do you suggest? Nobody in our crew wants to go to producers and do the "begging" job.

You seem to be talking about an agent rather than a distributor. A distributor
distributes a finished movie, they do not find investors.
So, the question is - will the hired person have the motivation to do his job at 100%? Because this is not being a part of the casting crew, nor participate in the production/post-production process. He doesn't get any filmmaking credits, only some cash, which he can earn working a few days in a manufacture.
In this specific example what you are looking for is a sales agent or producers
representative. That is what they do; for a percentage they "sell" the product.
Their motivation is to get the most money that can because they get a percentage
of what they raise.

Very few, however, will work on a percentage for a filmmaker without a strong
track record of profitable movies. So you will have to hire one; pay them a set fee
for a set period of time regardless of the outcome. And like any human being doing
any job some do their job well and are motivated and some are less so.So like
anyone you hire a strong resume and interview is essential.

You seem to be talking about an agent rather than a distributor. A distributor
distributes a finished movie, they do not find investors.

In this specific example what you are looking for is a sales agent or producers
representative. That is what they do; for a percentage they "sell" the product.
Their motivation is to get the most money that can because they get a percentage
of what they raise.

Very few, however, will work on a percentage for a filmmaker without a strong
track record of profitable movies. So you will have to hire one; pay them a set fee
for a set period of time regardless of the outcome. And like any human being doing
any job some do their job well and are motivated and some are less so.So like
anyone you hire a strong resume and interview is essential.

Currently, we are looking for someone who will seek an agent or a producer, talk to him, show him the concept and try to convince to for further collaboration. It's like every corporation has the one with the authority to do the talking and make deals. I agree that nobody will work for a percentage, but we also can't pay much. We also don't know how much will it take him to get an agent/producer/investor. Time is money. And I don't know if I can count on getting someone with strong resume with previous successful deals. I mean, why would a successful representative work with us, beginners?

So we need someone excited in our concept, who would agree to do his job for a low payment, because he might earn something besides the payment. Just like me :) I, the co-director, work for a laughable payment. :) And I get paid only for the days of shooting, while my duties go beyond that.

So we need someone excited in our concept, who would agree to do his job for a low payment, because he might earn something besides the payment. Just like me :) I, the co-director, work for a laughable payment. :) And I get paid only for the days of shooting, while my duties go beyond that.
Exactly! You need to find a "partner" - someone who believes in your project
as much as you do, someone willing to work for a low payment for future
pay off. And that isn't someone who can be found quickly.

Exactly! You need to find a "partner" - someone who believes in your project
as much as you do, someone willing to work for a low payment for future
pay off. And that isn't someone who can be found quickly.

Yeah, most Israelians believe in projects AFTER they see good money :)
Another question is, maybe we should make the hired person participate in the production process, thus connecting him more to the project?

Yeah, most Israelians believe in projects AFTER they see good money :)
I don't know if this will help, but most people believe in projects
AFTER they see good money. Americans, Canadians, Brits, French;
anyone who earns their living in movies believe in the money. The
creators see potential and work for passion; the people with the
money to spend look after their money.
Another question is, maybe we should make the hired person participate in the production process, thus connecting him more to the project?
I don't know how you can make anyone do anything. The financial
people I have worked with are not interested in production; they
don't want to hold a boom, or load and unload equipment from
trucks, or set lights, or feed cast and crew. Their connection to
the project is making sure it's good enough to return their
investment.

Right now you seem to be limiting your concern to what drives YOU
and that is your undying passion for your project. Money people
(including the people who FIND investors) are typically interested
more in money and in creative passion. Nothing wrong with that. You
may find someone with the skills you need who is passionate about
your project willing to work for low low payment. But I suspect you
know that the people who find the money for movies are more interested
the return and profit than in your passion.

It's difficult, isn't it?

It's difficult, isn't it?

What exactly?

P.S. In Israel, if one's only reason is money, he opens a restaurant in Tel Aviv, or an insurance agency, or goes to a reality-show/football/army. Israeli cinematography... eh... doesn't make you rich :) That's why even the most known Israeli directors go to teach to Colleges - extra job!

Last edited:
I'm referring to the conversation we are having. Finding someone to
go to producers and do the "begging" job. Hiring someone to find the
money so you can make the movie you want to make.

Yeah, it's difficult. Nobody wants to do that :) The director, which is the author of the concept, wants all the casting crew to take care of that in their free time. I totally disagreed with her about that and suggested that there should be one person for that "dirty job".

I agree. What you call a dirty job (a job no one really wants to do) is
arguably the most important job there is. And that's why the people
who specialize in finding money usually charge for their time and effort.

Now comes the hard work; finding someone to do that "dirty job" for low
pay - someone who is as passionate about your project as you are.

That is exactly what I was referring to when I said it's difficult.

Well, in our modern days, marketing can be the biggest issue in the entire entertainment industry. I just wonder how much all those Marvel movies invest in all their worldwide distribution. I see the "Guardian of Galaxy" posters every 100 meters on the roads :)

Well, in our modern days, marketing can be the biggest issue in the entire entertainment industry.
Exactly.

That's why the person finding the money may be the most important
job there is. You need it to make the movie and you need it to market
the movie. And it is MUCH easier to make a movie than it is to get people
to pay to watch it.

will the hired person have the motivation to do his job at 100%?

Sure. There are plenty of people out there who are motivated to do their job at 100%. The question is really, will his job align with your interests. Why would they care about your interests? What's in it for them?

What do you suggest? Nobody in our crew wants to go to producers and do the "begging" job.

I suggest a paradigm shift. Think of your filming like you would when starting a new business looking for seed money.

nobody will work for a percentage, but we also can't pay much.

They're called Producers. Some do. Some don't. To me, it sounds like this production is in a spot where there are already a significant number of incorrect attachments, to the point that investment is highly unlikely.

We also don't know how much will it take him to get an agent/producer/investor. Time is money. And I don't know if I can count on getting someone with strong resume with previous successful deals. I mean, why would a successful representative work with us, beginners?

Chicken and the egg. You're in the place that starting filmmakers are. What makes you any more special than the hundred thousand unemployed filmmakers? What makes you more likely to bring investors than anyone else?

I'm not trying to put you down at all. You're looking at the problem from the wrong angle and asking the wrong questions. You need to come up with the answer, "What will make investors fight to invest in you?" Why should someone give you all the money you're asking for + $25-100mil to make and market your unproven concept when you don't even know the right questions to ask? (Hint: You've already noted the answer above)

I'm not trying to put you down at all. You're looking at the problem from the wrong angle and asking the wrong questions. You need to come up with the answer, "What will make investors fight to invest in you?" Why should someone give you all the money you're asking for + $25-100mil to make and market your unproven concept when you don't even know the right questions to ask? (Hint: You've already noted the answer above)

I kinda know the answer for "What will make investors fight to invest in me?", which is because there are very few Sci-Fi movies in Israel. And the willingness of a costume design company, a few 3D modellers and animators, and a filming studio, to work with us just proves it. Is that the answer you're hinting at?

Not even close.

Here's a few basic question that will get you part of the way.

What are the attachments?
What will it cost to make?
Can you guarantee distribution? .... and can you guarantee distribution with those attachments?
What will my return on investment be?
Show me examples of this return.
What is the proof that you can deliver that return?
How will you mitigate my risk?
What's plan B and Plan C?

Here's a slightly harder question. If you believe Sci-Fi is such a sure thing in Israel, why isn't everyone already doing it? What specifically do you know that the professionals don't?

If you've never done it before, why do I need you?

See what I mean about the chicken and the egg?

Of course there are other types of investors than those who are strictly in it for the profit, it's going to be tough to get an introduction to those as everyone is after the "sucker".

Do all these questions need answers? Of course not. Not everyone is a sophisticated investor. Though, if you do come across an investor that asks, it may be better to be prepared.

I suggest that you read a few books on film finance and distribution. I suspect this production is already past the point of no return for investment. A little study and then some follow up questions from you may help you see what went wrong and it may give you some insight into what is your best option in Israel (as I know virtually nothing about your film industry - I could be barking you up the wrong tree, but I doubt it).

Will you film in Hebrew? If so, here's a question that may come up (or a variant). The largest Sci-Fi movie in history took $13.1mil in Israel. Snowpiercer, a relatively low budget sci-fi movie cost $30mil (AFAIK) to make. How can you get those numbers make sense to an investor?

Your solution. You even said it yourself:
most Israelians believe in projects AFTER they see good money

It sucks doesn't it?

Here's a slightly harder question. If you believe Sci-Fi is such a sure thing in Israel, why isn't everyone already doing it? What specifically do you know that the professionals don't?

A costume design company, a few 3D modellers and animators, and a filming studio, agree to work free with us. Why isn't everybody doing that? Because very few people believe in Israeli cinematography. Most decide to work in Europe or US. I share their opinion, but I do think I need to start in Israel.

And I didn't say we're the first: there is an Israeli TV-series called Nephilim. It has an interesting concept, it is very attractive at the first 10 chapters, but then it becomes boring and repeatable. There is also a season 2, another disaster. So, there are no decent Sci-Fi's made in Israel, yet. I don't know what we can make with our low budget, but if we find a good investment, we can surely try.

Will you film in Hebrew? If so, here's a question that may come up (or a variant). The largest Sci-Fi movie in history took $13.1mil in Israel. Snowpiercer, a relatively low budget sci-fi movie cost $30mil (AFAIK) to make. How can you get those numbers make sense to an investor?

"Another Earth" movie, you know it? Its budget was 100k. And it went out pretty good.

$13.1mil budget for a movie in Israel? I've never heard of such budgets in Israel. :) Or maybe you mean something else?

I actually loved "Snowpiercer".

It sucks doesn't it?

Yep :)

A costume design company, a few 3D modellers and animators, and a filming studio, agree to work free with us. Why isn't everybody doing that? Because very few people believe in Israeli cinematography.

"Believing" in something doesn't pay the rent, or feed the kids. That's why everybody isn't doing that.

A costume design company, a few 3D modellers and animators, and a filming studio, agree to work free with us. Why isn't everybody doing that?
You haven't asked everybody yet. You're just starting the search and
you are starting convinced that no one will look for investors for you.
Because very few people believe in Israeli cinematography.
Why is this, do you think? Do Israeli movies not make much money?

$13.1mil budget for a movie in Israel? I've never heard of such budgets in Israel. Or maybe you mean something else?

Took. Earned. Gathered those dollars at the box office. The budget for the film that took 13.1mil in Israel was mid-9 figures.

Ok, if you want to do it like this, fine. Grab Another Earth and 4 other movies in the same ball park (within the last 5 years) and ensure your film is also in the same ball park (talent, budget, production team quality etc). Document their production budgets, distribution costs and returns to investors. High, low, medium. What an over the top success looks like, what a failure looks like etc.

Distribution plan, backup plans, recoupment schedule, budget with every last details accounted, mitigation plans, talent attachments/letters of interest and so on. Be sure to run everything through a lawyer who is versed in securities law in your country. You may need your version of a PPM.

I don't know what we can make with our low budget, but if we find a good investment, we can surely try.

Just for the record, that's a pretty bad thing to say to an investor... Just saying.

At the moment, you have an idea for a movie. If you want someone to invest, you need a business plan. It's the bugbear of money that filmmakers need to conqueror.

"Believing" in something doesn't pay the rent, or feed the kids. That's why everybody isn't doing that.

You haven't asked everybody yet. You're just starting the search and
you are starting convinced that no one will look for investors for you.

Why is this, do you think? Do Israeli movies not make much money?

Very few did. If you ask why, I think it's because most of Israeli movies are made for specific audiences.

P.S. The "Why isn't everybody doing that?" was a question of Sweetie that I probably needed to quote. I mean:

Code:
                   SWEETIE
         Why isn't everybody doing that?

INARIUS
         Because very few people believe in Israeli 
         cinematography.

:)

Back