Faith Based film bandwagon?

Hello all,
I'd like to know if anyone is jumping on the Christian film bandwagon? Not that it's a bad thing at all, but I'm just wondering if anyone is trying to get into the new found attention given to faith based films? I think Fireproof really put the spotlight on the faith based genre. So, is anyone trying to capitalize on this rekindled industry? There have always been Christian films, but I think we see a lot of attention on these small independent films, any theories as to why they are so successful? One theory I have is that they overhype the movies. Fireproof was a good movie, but my wife and I both didn't think it was as good as all the hype made it out to be. So, I really don't want this Thread to discuss the movie Fireproof, but more about the whole christian film making industry. I'm just curious as to the opinions of others.

Last edited:
There is a good market for faith-based films, and that's undeniable. If you want to make some money, you might as well go ahead and make one. If you are interested in making films about faith because those are the beliefs you hold, go for it! If you hold strong beliefs about something and you can make off of it, even better, go make movies that spread your beliefs and you can make money off of them.

As Jacob had said, there are many films that contain symbolism and themes related to religion, but are not labeled to be films of that religion as if it was a genre because of subtly, or well, other genres and styles that are evident. Films like Life of Pi and The Exorcist are heavily inspired by or have much to do with religion. I see Life of Pi to be a story about survival and the wonders of life, as well as a story about the beauty and wonder of religion. The Exorcist is the story of good triumphing evil (but obviously not in the traditional sense, seeing the brutal content in the film and the initial controversy surrounding it).

So, yes, there can be good films that deal with religious themes, and there is an audience for it.

Back