Film school. How many here have gone? And if so was it worth it?

Well was it worth it for those who went?

I want to go after I get my photography degree, but the costs for that degree can be pretty high. Plus I was wondering much better I would be coming out of it. Rather than just going with my natural talents and try to learn as I go on my own and with the people I work with.

Probably the only thing you'll miss is the automatic contacts you'd get with Lab's and Stock suppliers, and the built in networking that comes with film school... You are, however in New York, and I'm fairly sure there's a thriving indie community there, hook up with them, work on their projects, have them help you on yours and you'll do fine. ;)

Hughes, use what you are learning in photography to make your first film, filmmaking and photography go hand in hand. The only thing that came out of film school for me was use of the supply room!!! :lol:

Film school can give you the reason to spend tons of time studying film making, but will not guarantee that you know anything when you graduate. People who take the time to study on their own can get alot out of school, because they get access to gear and some learning structure with projects, etc.

Most of the people I went to film school with were not as interested in reading/studying and as a result I don't think they learned much. For some reason, a lot of people go to film school and think that they already know more about everything than the teachers, so they pretty much just waste their time.

Soo, if you already know it all (atleast in your own mind) don't bother with school. If you are willing to listen to some hasbeen recount their extremely limited (though still valuable) experience, and try things that make you uncomfortable or are not directly linked to your interests school can be invaluable.

I went to the LA film school and got a pretty good overview, and enough experience to get my bearing and start chasing "the dream." However I also got a big student loan payment as well. :grumpy:

Joe_Hunt said:
I went to the LA film school and got a pretty good overview, and enough experience to get my bearing and start chasing "the dream." However I also got a big student loan payment as well. :grumpy:

Yeah I was looking into that school.

Were they helpful in finding you a job on a real set after college or were you on your own?

Also, thats for all the opinions guys, I appreciate it.

They can teach you the basics of how to promote your films and what a reel or resume should look like. But in short No, they will not find you a job on a "real" set after college. You will be qualified to work on a real set, and probably even have some imdb credits but will need to make most of the contacts yourself. LA film school has had in the past a pretty good relationship with a production company in LA that cranks out about a feature a month. I am told many people go to work there (no pay) to get experience and then move on.

As for me, I just started hitting the indie boards and craigslist, etc. and have been working pretty steadily. Unfortunately a lot of the pay is low or deferred so I also work a full time job to support my family while I build up a network.

Back