Which earns more money for you, Amazon or Vimeo?

We already have several films on Amazon VOD, but we were wondering about potential revenue from Vimeo VOD. Vimeo, of course would charge us a monthly fee for hosting our films whereas Amazon lists them for free. Does anyone actually make a monthly "profit" from Vimeo, or would we be wasting our money?:huh:

Neither. I got a good 10k from my first year of putting out DVD releases of two films. I've gotten zero in the past decade from anything streaming related over a dozen additional features on various streaming platofrms (youtube, amazon, vimeo, etc). Not that that helps, but I just don't see any future in streaming for indie films. If you can find an audience for physical media sales of your films, do it.

Is that $100 from monetizing with ads? That would take about 200,000 views.

Yes, I monetize with ads and make around $2000 a year. Views and revenue aren't completely related, it depends on your CPM. A higher CPM needs less views to make the same money as a channel with a lower CPM.

My channel is divided though. I have my films, but I also have a survival show that accounts for a huge chunk of my revenue.

It's not a lot of money, but it's enough to allow me to keep buying new gear and making things. Plus I get to write everything off at tax time, yielding a much larger return :)

Yes, I monetize with ads and make around $2000 a year. Views and revenue aren't completely related, it depends on your CPM. A higher CPM needs less views to make the same money as a channel with a lower CPM.

My channel is divided though. I have my films, but I also have a survival show that accounts for a huge chunk of my revenue.

It's not a lot of money, but it's enough to allow me to keep buying new gear and making things. Plus I get to write everything off at tax time, yielding a much larger return :)
You should use the Amazon affiliate program to post links below your videos for people to buy survival gear.
Post a link to your channel or PM me. I'll check out your channel.

All my films are on both platforms, although Amazon keep removing my best earning films.. No reason given.
Vimeo VOD does not make money, primarily because people don't wish to buy a film when they can watch hundreds through subscription to Amazon or Netflix. For years I have been suggesting to Vimeo via their features wanted section, they should implement a kind of Vimeo Prime where people pay a subscription and can watch any f the VOD tiles, but so far they have not done it.
mol

We already have several films on Amazon VOD, but we were wondering about potential revenue from Vimeo VOD. Vimeo, of course would charge us a monthly fee for hosting our films whereas Amazon lists them for free. Does anyone actually make a monthly "profit" from Vimeo, or would we be wasting our money?:huh:

Neither. I got a good 10k from my first year of putting out DVD releases of two films. I've gotten zero in the past decade from anything streaming related over a dozen additional features on various streaming platofrms (youtube, amazon, vimeo, etc). Not that that helps, but I just don't see any future in streaming for indie films. If you can find an audience for physical media sales of your films, do it.

I second this motion as someone who has a short film, An Hour Past Her Time, on Amazon and I earn pennies every quarter and got one sale.

Selling physical will get you more money quicker. Thing is the market for physical sales is slowly shrinking.

It only makes sense if you’re selling a feature.

You might have seen nudity but if you are low budget, eventually, Amazom=n will make a judgement on it and remove it. Any male nudity is frowned upon more than female nudity. Most times, they farm the film out to student or low paid workers with a tick list, and yoyr film goes live. Any complaints, over a period of time, they review it and normally - remove it. That is my experience anyway. mol

I disagree. I’ve watched plenty of nudity from indie films on Prime.
My film was up for over 2 years before some social justice warrior complained and Amazon then removed it. Amazon doesn't have the man power to review films that get submitted. I think someone checks the quality really quick but that's it. Then it's up to consumers to bring stuff to their attention.

i agree. its a hit or miss game. Amazon doesn't care. It could be buckets of films they are selling or renting/ All means the same to them. You are a film maker. Same as me. It means more to us. They don't care. The PC brigade kick off and Amazon just removes it. There is always another sucker like me waiting in line to put a film up. Bt never give up. Without creators, the world would be very boring indeed. mol

i agree. its a hit or miss game. Amazon doesn't care. It could be buckets of films they are selling or renting/ All means the same to them. You are a film maker. Same as me. It means more to us. They don't care. The PC brigade kick off and Amazon just removes it. There is always another sucker like me waiting in line to put a film up. Bt never give up. Without creators, the world would be very boring indeed. mol
BTW since you're in the UK, is there a go-to site for finding narration voice talent (other than Fiverr)? I'm in need of an older British voice.

Not that I know of. I know a few Brit actors who do voice narration, male or female? But you'd have to pay them, minimum wage here. It is difficult. I can't ee much difference between American English voice and UK noise. Most English speaking countries here American accent most of the time. Is it really that critical. Spend as little money as possible. mol

Not that I know of. I know a few Brit actors who do voice narration, male or female? But you'd have to pay them, minimum wage here. It is difficult. I can't see much difference between American English voice and UK noise. Most English speaking countries here American accent most of the time. Is it really that critical. Spend as little money as possible. mol
1,000 words of narration. I was hoping to find somebody for $200 to possibly $300. I've given up on deep baritone American voices. If I were to go with a British voice then it doesn't have to be a deep baritone. It would be an older voice. An elder statesman. If worse comes to worse I will do it with my voice and a harmonizer. Here's a sampling with my voice doing a scratch track of narration. I could do better with more effort... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn4D0XULVjg
Anyone who wants to comment on my narration voice, let me know what you think. Does it sound strange? Keep in mind that it's a Mockumentary. So maybe if my narration voice sounds off kilter then it's acceptable. I don't know.

Back