• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How many dialogue is ok? (Per page, scene)

@AccousticAl Writing is an excellent advice. However, if I write I don’t want to have a full script just with dialogue. That’s not the target of a screenplay writer. There should be story, too. But a story needs dialogue. And my question is how many is ok? When does it start being annoying?
If the dialogue is essential to the story it doesn't get annoying.

Two writers have already been mentioned - Woody Allen and
Aaron Sorkin both write dialogue heavy scrips. Allen has the
most Oscar nominations of any writer.

A full page of dialogue is okay. There is no "rule" about how
much dialogue and how much action. A relationship drama
and a romantic comedy will have far more dialogue. An action
film will have more description per page.

@UneducatedFan Yes! Of course, I can. Admittedly, I wrote just 3 pages. But it was just for a writing style test. Here it is: http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=64843

Ok so I read that and I echo what people said there in that thread.

So my next question is when can we read your completed pilot or feature script? Not asking for perfection but a completed rough draft of a pilot or feature?

Let's set a goal. Do you think if you started writing today that you could have it done in a month?

That's my suggestion. Give us a date as a goal and then start writing it. Take all the knowledge you've gained thus far and apply it. Then when you've got a completed script you can share it with us being that it will be a rough draft, you can improve on it. If you want to write perfection, you'll never write it. You need to start writing it now and at least get one completed then take the next step after that, etc.

So let's take that next step! Give us a "goal date" and then get started today.

What's the date?

After talking with her by private messaging - because I foolishly said I am willing to help - she has amazing ideas but just afraid to put them on the paper, I just don't get it. It's like she's afraid of writing a bad script first try. Or maybe it's the language barrier, I don't know.

After talking with her by private messaging - because I foolishly said I am willing to help - she has amazing ideas but just afraid to put them on the paper, I just don't get it. It's like she's afraid of writing a bad script first try. Or maybe it's the language barrier, I don't know.

She has Asperger and has been bullied for a long time in school. I would say that she has is extremely afraid of failure and wants to write a perfect first draft.

What does being bullied have to do with writing a screenplay? I got bullied in school years ago. I'm sure everyone has. This is a different ball game. She's socializing okay with us.

What does being bullied have to do with writing a screenplay? I got bullied in school years ago. I'm sure everyone has. This is a different ball game. She's socializing okay with us.

Jea...but you don't have Asperger. She knows how tho categorize the world in detail. Having empathy and imagining herself in somebody else its shoes... that's the difficult part.

She mentioned it.
And if you gather all the replies and read the subtext, there are many clues pointing that direction.

No jodgement here.
She thinks in a different way than you do, Quality.
Acknowledging that is the first step to have less barriers in communications.

It is also where a question like this thread comes from: if there are solid rules for everything they can be perfect guidelines.
The problem with filmmaking is that the rules are not solid, because everything depends on everything.
The upside however, is that unlike building a house, you can rewrite or fill in blanks later. So the first foundation does not have to be completely perfect.

So, the only way to procede is to write fearlessly and then dare to rewrite without mercy.

How do you know she has it for sure?

Because...

@Feutus Lapdance I think, I will make 2 boys and 2 girls as the main protagonists. But I suck at creating realistic characters; not least because I got the Asperger’s syndrome.

Future_Screen, you want structure and clear rules and guidelines. Screenwriting, filmmaking in general, won’t give you that. But the first step is not to use this as a barrier.

“I suck at creating characters because...”

Leave that behind. If you write a perfect screenplay with perfect characters on the first draft, you’ll certainly be the first screenwriter in history to accomplish that. Read back through your threads here. The samples you have posted have had issues, yes, but you’ve been given advice on how to improve rather than any kind of ridicule. And one of the members here, a seasoned director and screenwriter who teaches professionally, has noted that your writing style is both unique and good. Take that and run with it.

You’re asking a lot of detailed questions that cannot be answered until after a first draft is completed. Don’t be afraid of mistakes. This community will help you through that when you have that draft.

Bullying can take its tole, especially if it goes on for years. Most of us around here won’t do that. Those who do are usually called out quickly by the rest of the community.

Put your ideas to use in a first draft. Just start writing and see where it takes you.

I empathize with her situation as I have a close family member with a light form of the same.

That said, it is creating for her an obstacle that is preventing her from accomplishing the necessary steps she needs to take in order to become a screenwriter. The Aspergers is winning right now. The Asperger's isn't going away but she's gotta let the screenwriting (the actual writing) win out over it. Yes easier said than done but the details are paralyzing her. She's stuck in the weeds. Asperger's is holding her screenwriting and writing hostage as asperger's is wont to do with many things in life.

I think at this point if she can set a goal date (like a month from now or two, etc.) and start writing, force herself to ignore the details and accept that what comes out a month or two from now is going to be akin to a first attempt at carving a piece of wood into a bust with no carving experience (or painting or any other skill that takes time and practice to master). Then build on that.

We're here to help but we gotta get her out of the weeds and on the field.

I hope we see here back. Would be interesting if she can overcome here barriers

:thumbsup:

Some quotes that emphasize the point we are at:

An idea not coupled with action will never get any bigger than the brain cell it occupied.
~ Arnold Glasow

You cannot score a goal when you are sitting on the bench. To do so, you have to dress up and enter the game.
~ Israelmore Ayivor

Begin to free yourself at once by doing all that is possible with the means you have, and as you proceed in this spirit the way will open for you to do more.
~ Robert Collier

If you wait, all that happens is that you get older.
~ Mario Andretti

You will either step forward into growth or you will step back into safety.
~ Abraham Maslow

We do not need, and indeed never will have, all the answers before we act ... It is often through taking action that we can discover some of them.
~ Charlotte Bunch

Back