• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Adjustable 2.35:1 letterbox?

Is there video editor that lets you *easily* move a 2:35:1 crop in a 16:9 picture? For example, in one part of a scene, I'm fine with the typical 2.35:1 crop; i.e., 131.5 pixels off the top, 131.5 pixels off the bottom. But in another part of the scene, I'd prefer, say, 200 pixels off the bottom, 63 pixels off the top. Ideally, I imagine 2:35:1 guidelines or letterbox edges that you can simply click on and drag up and down the picture (and that move with each other to maintain 2.35:1 ratio).

Next question would be, is there a video editor that then exports the 16:9 movie to a 2.35:1 movie along the crops you manipulated?

FCPX, and every other non-linear editor I've used would allow you to drag your image around within the frame. Compressor will crop the black bars off, if you choose to edit in a 16x9 format, which you don't really need to, because you can drop your 16:9 clips into a 2.35:1 timeline and still move the image up and down within the 2.35:1 frame.

The more important question is, "what NLE are you using?" ... someone here may now how to do what you're trying to do in the software you are using.

It works the other way around: you move the clip up or down below the letterbox or on the 2.35:1-timeline.

PremierePro you can indeed export a crop of the timeline, if I am not mistaken.
I never use that option: I make sure my timeline has the dimension I want/need.

Back