• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

No Budget Lighting

How to handle lighting in a no budget film? The location has very bad lighting and i don't want to go above 200 in iso.

Im strapped for cash. Have to feed and hydrate the cast and crew, gas for the cast, new tripod, dolly for tripod and a dslr rig. I need a desk too. Thats close to $400. So i will naturally try to squeeze it down to $300.

No. It costs about the same as the POS rig that you were originally considering. This is the only solution in that price range that will give you acceptable quality for the money invested.

If you want a full shoulder rig, be prepared to save up for something that isn't a total waste of money:

Base shoulder rig (no offset): $130
Follow focus: $120
Focus gears: $30-45/ea
Mattebox: $300
Counterweights: $160
Field monitor: $250-800, or
EVF: $800+

And that's the budget version.

"Affordable" can mean a lot of things. In the grand scheme of professional lighting, Aputure Amaran LED panels are very affordable at $160-275 each, considering that high-end lighting fixtures for TV and film can go from $500 each up to several thousand.

Your stated budget of $50 leaves you with few options that will give you good lighting. Honestly, anything you spend that money on as far as purchasing is money wasted in a very short-term solution. For $50, whether you get worklights or venture into sfoster's DIY cardboard box solution, you'll quickly find that you may get bright and wide coverage, but at the expense of color rendering, even lighting distribution, and ease of control.

Perhaps you might look to a local rental house. A small, functional lighting kit may run as low as $75/day. You're spending that money either way, so it really comes down to this: would you rather spend it on a cheap solution that you're just gong to have to replace in the not-so-distant future, or spend that money on renting something better? Either way, it's an expenditure on this project that has no income to offset it. So what's the best way to spend it for this project?
Got damn! Once im ready for my feature, ill get a DP. Freak that! That's pricey! DP with his own equipment.

I want this short done right. Think is with the rental, idk anything about lighting. Zelch! Im considering it.

... idk anything about lighting. Zelch!

This is what I've been trying to get at here.

If you know absolutely nothing about lighting, how do you expect to get anything useful out of DIY solutions? If you can't do it with professional gear, you'll have a hell of a time trying to get the most out of an improvised lighting kit. These things all take some know-how.

So that brings us to your short, since you seem to expect that you'll get an award-winning result out of it. You won't. You're trying to fast-forward past the learning-by-making-mistakes part. You cannot purchase anything that makes up for lack of experience.

It's time to start watching tutorials and reading books on lighting. You have to start learning somewhere.

Get some work lights, or some clamp-on lights, or rent a real kit. It doesn't matter, really, at this point. Make your short and then figure out why the lighting sucked. You'll be better for it next time.

This is what I've been trying to get at here.

If you know absolutely nothing about lighting, how do you expect to get anything useful out of DIY solutions? If you can't do it with professional gear, you'll have a hell of a time trying to get the most out of an improvised lighting kit. These things all take some know-how.

So that brings us to your short, since you seem to expect that you'll get an award-winning result out of it. You won't. You're trying to fast-forward past the learning-by-making-mistakes part. You cannot purchase anything that makes up for lack of experience.

It's time to start watching tutorials and reading books on lighting. You have to start learning somewhere.

Get some work lights, or some clamp-on lights, or rent a real kit. It doesn't matter, really, at this point. Make your short and then figure out why the lighting sucked. You'll be better for it next time.
I started looking at tutorials and i never had an interest in that. Just writing and directing but my vision has to come out right. There's an abundance of video production companies. Instead of buying the equipment should i just hire a crew?

I started looking at tutorials and i never had an interest in that. Just writing and directing but my vision has to come out right.

You want to direct? You need to have practical understandings of lighting and cinematography. Again, you're trying to fast-forward past the important parts.

You have two shorts under your belt and, honestly, they're pretty rough. Exposure and white balance are inconsistent, framing choices show your inexperience and edits don't always flow very well. Sound is terrible. I don't say these things to write you off, just to reinforce that you have a lot of work to do. You can't skip that and expect to come out successful on the other end.

Your font choices scream amateur, as do your credit rolls that list you in almost every role.

Written by: Freddy Long
Directed by: Freddy Long
Camera: Freddy Long
Edited by: Freddy Long
Sound Design: Freddy Long

You don't need all that. Simply credit yourself as "Written, Directed, and Edited by Freddy Long" or, even simpler/better, "A Film by Freddy Long". Then, credit the others who helped. Rolling your name over and over and over again is painful to watch.

There's an abundance of video production companies. Instead of buying the equipment should i just hire a crew?

DoP: $500-750/day
Gaffer: $500/day
Grip: $350/day
Sound Mixer: $350-500/day

The DoP and Sound Mixer may come with their own gear, but the Gaffer and Grip may need lighting and grip rentals.

And half-day rates are BS. I don't bill half-days anymore with most clients, because they typically run long anyway and there's no way to book the other half of the day on a different shoot.

Does the organization you wanted to join that has the cheap insurance offer any kit rental discounts etc.? Some of these orgs have really cheap stuff.

How to handle lighting in a no budget film? The location has very bad lighting and i don't want to go above 200 in iso.
For around $200 you can start with:

Five or six “scoop lights” - those lamps with the silver reflector.
Reflector-Clamp-Light1.jpg

Three or four pieces of Foamcore from any art supply store to use to bounce the light.
FPUJJNKFP8NMCZW.MEDIUM.jpg

Two or three Paper Lanterns that you can get at Ikea. I hook each one to a dimmer.
lanterns.jpg

lowbudgetlighting.jpg

You want to direct? You need to have practical understandings of lighting and cinematography. Again, you're trying to fast-forward past the important parts.

You have two shorts under your belt and, honestly, they're pretty rough. Exposure and white balance are inconsistent, framing choices show your inexperience and edits don't always flow very well. Sound is terrible. I don't say these things to write you off, just to reinforce that you have a lot of work to do. You can't skip that and expect to come out successful on the other end.

Your font choices scream amateur, as do your credit rolls that list you in almost every role.

You don't need all that. Simply credit yourself as "Written, Directed, and Edited by Freddy Long" or, even simpler/better, "A Film by Freddy Long". Then, credit the others who helped. Rolling your name over and over and over again is painful to watch.

The DoP and Sound Mixer may come with their own gear, but the Gaffer and Grip may need lighting and grip rentals.

And half-day rates are BS. I don't bill half-days anymore with most clients, because they typically run long anyway and there's no way to book the other half of the day on a different shoot.
I know. I edit those with imovie '11. Both those videos are unplanned random shoots. The vanity thing youre referring to is something i get from Christopher Nolan.

Im going to forgo buying equipment and pay this production company i reached out to. I peeped their work and they offered me a doable rate.

My joints for what they are are all that!

Terror Park is just a score. Sons of Mystro was live and random. May I see your work? Show me how a veteran does it, please.

I think that this post is the answer that FLS (FreddyLongSongs) was looking for.

At the least it gives a micro budget list of things that have proven to be useful.

For around $200 you can start with:

Five or six “scoop lights” - those lamps with the silver reflector.
Reflector-Clamp-Light1.jpg

Three or four pieces of Foamcore from any art supply store to use to bounce the light.
FPUJJNKFP8NMCZW.MEDIUM.jpg

Two or three Paper Lanterns that you can get at Ikea. I hook each one to a dimmer.
lanterns.jpg

lowbudgetlighting.jpg

Agreed. Or hire (or team up with) a DP that owns a kit. There's really no need for a director to own anything. However most indie/budding directors like to shoot too, but if that doesn't interest you, then you save $.

Agreed. Or hire (or team up with) a DP that owns a kit. There's really no need for a director to own anything. However most indie/budding directors like to shoot too, but if that doesn't interest you, then you save $.
Ive come to that conclusion today but i want to still buy some stuff for vanity projects. However, i will outsource for bigger projects and stuff i want to actually make money from. I'll still have final cut pro to assist in editing.

As many here will attest, I am a big fan of renting gear or retaining/hiring someone who has the gear. Someone I respect in the business end of the entertainment biz once told me that you shouldn't own what you don't use every day.

As an example; for my audio post business, I have a modest mic collection, and I may not use all of them every day, they do all get used. However, I only do (serious) field recording three or four times a year, so I rent tried and true stuff like Sound Devices, etc. For other things I borrow from my fellow audio friends, Tascam DR series and the like.

The flip side of my argument is your focus - pardon the pun. Do you want to be a DP or direct actors? Why buy gear when there are plenty of people out there who would love to DP or PSM/Boom-op and already have at least some gear and possibly more experience. That way you can concentrate on directing actors.

As many here will attest, I am a big fan of renting gear or retaining/hiring someone who has the gear. Someone I respect in the business end of the entertainment biz once told me that you shouldn't own what you don't use every day.

As an example; for my audio post business, I have a modest mic collection, and I may not use all of them every day, they do all get used. However, I only do (serious) field recording three or four times a year, so I rent tried and true stuff like Sound Devices, etc. For other things I borrow from my fellow audio friends, Tascam DR series and the like.

The flip side of my argument is your focus - pardon the pun. Do you want to be a DP or direct actors? Why buy gear when there are plenty of people out there who would love to DP or PSM/Boom-op and already have at least some gear and possibly more experience. That way you can concentrate on directing actors.
Honestly, i was trying to be cheap but i realized from this thread, for it to be done right, I'll have to spend a lot of money and dedicate a lot of time to be effective bringing my vision to life. Like your choices state, i just want to direct. Actually write and direct.

A decent led light has worked wonders for me..getting closer to actors faces without harsh shadows..a couple of work lights also for overall large areas of light but led lights are definitely my savior..if yr no/low budget lighting is the best investment and vital for filmmaking otherwise your films will llook like a home movie.

Back