Is it worth getting lavs to look more professional?

I was told by a PSM that I boomed for before, that I was really good at it and should keep doing that in order to get on sets. I have tried a few times, but every call for film projects so far (usually documentaries are being shot here), they always say in the adds, that they want to someone who uses lavs.

I have always been happy with my boom mics for own projects, and never desired to get lavs, at least not at this time, or until I find a use for them. But every add I apply for says they want lavs, and will tell me they are not interested in boom mics.

One guy said okay we will give the boom a shot. So I start booming from person to person, but the director got distracted by it, and told me he cannot work with that boom swinging all over the place, and that it's too risky, that I could miss something. He then got lavs for the rest of the project later on.

So since everyone so far prefers lavs it seems, should I get that to look more professional, or to look like I am ready to go with what they need, should such opportunities, to volunteer for sets, arise?

Is it worth it? Thanks.

ItDonnedOnMe I've gotta question your logic here

If you were doing an interview and I came up in the middle of your conversation, snapped a wireless transmitter onto someones belt, and then set up a lav on their collar would you say lavs are distracting during docs? Because some random person walked up and started trying to lav them

If is just about LOOKING more professional: get a black piece of sponce and add a cable from earplugs to it :P

For narrative work I usally use a boom.
Sometimes use a lav at a hidden spot as back up.

For interviews in a one-man-band-situation lavs are the way to go.

And what APE says is right: it's about what is most efficient AND most effective!!

BTW,
I hope you keep a journal of your set experiences: there is a fantastic comedy hidden in those notes...

"Is it worth it getting lavs...."

to look more professional? NO

if it will benefit the capture of clean high quality audio, when the shot/project necessitates it? YES

For example, a dialogue scene that calls for a wide angle (ie: nowhere for the boom or boom op to be without being in the shot, and no time/budget/skill to paint them out digitally in post) that's a perfect time to employ the use of lavs. Or when a scene/shot is in tight quarters and there just isn't physically room for a boom, actors, lights, and the camera to all occupy the same general space, that's another good time for lavs.

To LOOK more professional? Nope. never.

Back