Production Diary: Penguins

Figured I would share my current project with the group. I'm currently working on a 2d animated short titled “Penguins.” The first installment is titled “The Flower.” It comes in with credits and production company vanity plate at exactly 4 minutes 5 seconds. Considering I also animated the credits and animated the vanity, I'm counting that.

j3ms.jpg

-Look a title

I have been kicking around an idea for an animated show about penguins for a while, but never really had time to work on it. My wife loves penguins and I promised her some time back if I ever did an animated penguin project that I would let her voice the penguins. While I was taking time off to help my wife recover from surgery in July, I realized I had some free time. Plus my wife wasn't doing so well and I thought seeing some cute penguins darting around in the water would help cheer her up. So, I started animating some penguins.

Like all projects, it began with a script. Well, while I would like to say the first installment started with a script, I really just made it up as I went along. Which is the completely wrong thing to with animation. If you ever need to have a script and storyboard, it is with animation. That would make my life over the course of the week a little more difficult. But at least I had a remotely vague idea of what I wanted to do. I would have some penguins walk around, jump in the water and swim...yup just the kind of plot gold you think it would be.

So I'm sitting in my underwear in front of the computer, my wife on the couch in a Vicodin induced slumber. By this time I had looked over a few books of penguins and at the various penguin items around the house. I had to make sure my penguins looked like penguins, but not like anyone else's penguins. I decided on basing the little guys loosely on the little blue penguins found along parts of Australia and New Zealand.

Having chosen the type of penguins, I opened up Illustrator and began to make design a penguin. I started with a side view. I decided to avoid the typical 3/4 view employed by most animation. For better or worse this decision would help shape the animation and in some ways allow more freedom than what you see in typical 2d animation. So I built the first prototype penguin. Next I had to break the image apart so I could animate it. Each piece of the penguin that was to move was put on its own layer in the Illustrator file. It is important to leave each element on a separate layer in Illustrator. If not, they cannot be manipulated individually in other programs. Now while the final penguins were to be blue, I made the individual parts either white or charcoal. This would allow me to fully control the color later on.

I had several options of animation software to choose from. While I was leaning to using Toon Boom Animate, I decided to instead use After Effects. Mostly this was so I could do more visually. I decided to treat this like a VFX project and really do more than just move around some layers. Using After Effects I can do far more with color and light. I can also work faster with particle systems. Something I knew I would need to do since there was going to be underwater shots. I used one particle system for bubbles from the penguins plunging into the water and kicking their little pudgy legs. I used another for snow and atmospheric debris. And of course I used particles for the floatism in the water.

2ij6.jpg

-so much tasty floatism

So into After Effects the little penguin went. The Illustrator file was imported as a composition. Then I moved the anchor points and did all the basic rigging and key framing of the penguin. Next I added the color and texture to the penguin. I'm kinda glossing over stuff here as this is not a tutorial and because I kinda don't want to give details about how I take a vector file and turn it into what you see below. I even used AI to create a few custom motion paths for the camera and a few objects.

So I had a little blue penguin that I could make swim, walk, or jump. Time to start building a world for the little guy to play in. Again at this time I was mostly flying blind. I didn't exactly know what I wanted to do and hadn't story boarded anything so I sort of messed around until I had an idea of what I was going to do. So I start with building an underwater scene. I use some shape layers, and stuff to create the ice up top. Then ramp some blue in the background and bada-bing bada-boom I have a comp that is 1920 by 2180. Sadly one of the smallest matte comps I would be working with. After this the size of the comps grew. Some of the more interesting sized comps were 2200x7560, 7680x4000, and 10600x1280. If you are wondering why the large compositions, and even if you aren't I'm going to tell you anyway, it is because when doing a scene or sequence that has a camera moving around or assets moving a distance greater than the screen you have to have everything in place. It is kinda like building a set or stage where you move around the actors and props. Now admittedly some of the comps didn't need to be as big as I made them. There were a number of shots I could have cheated to create the illusion the characters were moving. But I didn't think of it at that time. It wasn't until I was done with the chase sequence that it hit me, “Oh yeah I could of just key framed the colors on the gradient, adjusted the velocity of the particle system, and just keyframed a few layer masks.” One of the downsides of not planning ahead. It cost me more render time than it should have.

So after about 3-4 hours of goofing around I manage to make a simple underwater shot with the title “Penguins” and a little penguin swimming through the letters (see image up top).

3-4 hours for 10 seconds of final video. That kinda blows, but that's how it goes with animation. A good week (40-50hrs) gives about 3-4 minutes of completed animation.

At this point I figured I would start showing what happened before the penguin jumped in the water. But my wife woke up and I had to be a good husband and all that stuff. Showed her the penguins swimming and she was all “Yay Penguins.”

So the next day I worked on stuff happening above the water. At this point I just had the side view of the penguin, so I worked with that and figured I also needed a front view. So I made the front view of the penguin. I also went ahead and did a back view. I now had a front view of the penguin swimming, front view of him waddling, back view of him waddling, side view waddling, and side view swimming.

So from here I complete what will eventually become the title sequence. Basically a penguins walks around, looks up at the bright sun, and jumps in the water where the title is revealed.

Over the rest of the week, I continued to eek out time to work on the short animation until it was nearly complete. I decided it needed a little action, so I drew a killer whale and had it chase the penguin. I eventually went back and expanded the chase a little.

fycy.jpg

-we're gonna need a bigger penguin

Again had I planned I could of done it all at once and saved myself some time. Eh oh well. Through the course of the week I came up with a few story ideas to flesh out the short. Then my wife had to go back to the hospital for a few days. Needless to say my work on the animation was put on hold.

Though after being up for 2 days spent mostly at the hospital I think my brain went into autopilot. Sleep deprived and full of caffeine and jello, I was doing laundry at midnight in a dinky all night laundromat when I came up with the romance plot thread and resolution for the animation. Yay!

tnb1.jpg

-penguin love, the purest form of love

A few days later my wife was back home and doing better. Yay! I managed to find a little time to finish everything. All in all it took about a week of actual work, broken up with life and its various interruptions and distractions.

Now it was time to do the edit. An hour later I had the edit done. It helped that I saved all the low res tests and had a really good idea where things were going to go at this point.

With the edit done, it was time for sound. I made a decision early on not to have the penguins speak. They only make penguin noises. This serves two purposes: first it allows me to animate without having to match up dialogue and second if I try and market the thing it can play easier to a global audience.

So with my wife better, I loaded up the video and we went through and she watched the video and made penguin noises to match the action. Then later I went and did Foley for all the other sounds. Used everything from my lips to a bowl of water to make the sounds. Most the sounds were done right in my place.

So I mixed in the sounds and spent some time over the next few weeks looking for a composer. I currently have someone scoring and performing the music. They are going to be going old school and projecting the video and playing along with some other musicians. I'm looking forward to seeing it complete.

It has been a bit on the music front, but I don't really have any plans for how I'm going to release this yet or what I'm going to do with it. It was mostly a fun little project.

elu5.jpg

-mmm fish

As for technical specs, the video is 1920x1080 square pixels at 29.97fps, 32bit color space. Since this is a fun project, I'm using the Avid DNxHD codec instead of rendering to an image sequence. Audio is 48kHz uncompressed. Right now I'm just mixing in stereo (each mono track outputs to a corresponding track), but depending on the music may do something else.

That said, I had such positive response from friends and family on the music free version, that I was asked to make more penguins and to potentially cross over the penguins with a friend's webseries.

lqwz.jpg

-remember to scrub your penguins

So I did. I just finished principal animation on the second installment tonight. It is currently being called “The Hat” however I am thinking of calling it “The Magic Hat” instead. I haven't done a rough assembly yet, but I estimate it will come in at around 9 minutes. Though I could be wrong, it is 4am.

This go around, I learned my lesson. I wrote several outlines and decided to go with the one involving a hat. The story is structured so that it stands apart from “The Flower” but can also be merged with it into a longer piece. I like giving myself options. Probably because I usually edit.

qeg8.jpg

-penguins and a bucket

So with a detailed one page outline I began to storyboard. Where the first installment had around 20 sets, the second installment has 50+ shots. For the storyboards I used yellow paper and black ink. No pencil allowed. I didn't do all the story boards at once. I started by doing each location. So for example all the shots that take place above the ice were sketched out at once. This way I could minimize the number of mattes I had to create and reuse elements more efficiently.

At least that was the plan. Of course I wrote a story that takes place in many locations and required many mattes for the next to last location (darn houses and their many rooms).

b44r.jpg

-what are penguins doing here? tune in to find out

Before animating, I went through and reassessed all the resource files from the first installment. I created copies of all the files I wanted to use again. I also went and re-made all the penguins to be friendlier to animate. I used a few tricks I figured out from the first short to know what I would need for this second installment. So I remade the penguins. In doing so I changed a few thing. Mostly the beak. I made it so they could now open their mouths from a side view and shortened the beak. I also lightened it up a tad.

I like the changes, so while waiting for the music (which I still am as of typing this), I updated the original Illustrator files. This in turn updated the original animation, and I re-rendered all the shots where there was a penguin seen in profile.

wu6m.jpg

-with new beaks the penguins are happier and more bouncy

So with that out of the way, I spent the past few weeks cranking out animation whenever I have a spare moment. I think so far the second installment is on course to surpass the first in quality. At least from an animation standpoint.

I hope to have a rough edit in a day or so depending on how much free time I have and how much sleep I can get.

g837.jpg

-the colors

I'm open to questions, comments, concerns. I'm also still trying to figure out what to do with the finished product. Part of me wants to maybe put together a pitch for a kids TV show or maybe just look at festivals. I'm still compiling a list of festivals I might might want to infest with penguins. I could also do the youtubes.

I'm tempted to do an ongoing thing, but only being able to crank out 2-4 minutes of stuff on a good week makes it hard. Plus music takes a bit.

I will try to keep this tread and everyone up to date on the project if you want. Well even if you don't want, I'll probably do it anyway. So to follow the penguins on their misadventures keep an eye on this thread or follow me on the twitters @jmoschner

Thank you in advance to following along.

Sleep eludes me as the penguins invade my dreams. I was affraid Iwas begining to see penguins that were not there. When I got home today I thought I was halucenating a penguin on my desktop only to realize I had changed my desktop.

Here is a link to the desktop if anyone wants it:

Today little was acomplished in pingland. I had nary the time or energy to do the rough edit. Though with all the "pencil tests" and rough renders complete, I do have the footage to do the rough edit.

I did manage to start the rendering out shots in full res. It will take a while, but the full res animations are looking very nice.

During my lunch break today I outlined two more potential installments. Those might be fun. Still waiting for music for the first installment to be completed.

Time for sleep.

Today was a hectic day, but I managed to do the rough cut, and to render out the final video files for the project. There were a few snags along the way. An After effects plug in issues made exporting one of the videos very tedious as AE kept crashing (and in the process somehow ate a comp). I was able to remake the lost composition (yay for low res preview files to reference and precomps that survived the crashes).

Basically, some plug ins don't play well when applied in certain orders and sometimes AE doesn't notice and sometimes it does and it freaks out.

The work around I had to do was to first enter the AE secret menu and choose to ingore errors, not because it would actually ignore them, but because it forces AE to write an error log that it wasn't doing due to the nature of the crash. Reading the log I knew I couldn't do a fix. So I changed from rendering out the comp to a mov file and instead rendered that single comp as a tiff sequence. I was able to render out so many frames at a time before AE would crash, then would go back and pick up where it left off.

A 15 min processess took a little over half an hour.

Normally I prefer to work with image sequences over video when doing vfx, though usually end up using video on lower budget projects.

From the rough edit I decided to add an alpha mask to the end of one shot to give it a nifty transition to the following shot. Noramlly Iwould embed the alpha channel, but since i had already rendered the full clip and it was only to be applied to the last few seconds of the clip, I chose to export just those few seconds as a video file I could use as a track mask. It worked out quite well.

Doing the rough with the low res files and test files was nice as it gave me a chance to see what I didn't need to render. I was able to shave off a second here and there from some fo the comps and found a few shots i didn't need.

With my full res files rendered, I went ahead and did a rough cut with the actual footage. So far it is looking to be a little over 9min before title sequence and credits. I suspecct after I make some tweaks and add the title and credits it will come to about 10 and a half minutes.

I also managed to sneak in a few test animations for the next installment and make some new assets. I think for the third installment I will try doing something a little different with the files. I may try exporting to h.264 instead of DNxHD just to see how it all looks. The thrid one should be shorter than the second.

Neat pics. Cool :cool:

Thank you. Those are screen caps from the low res test files.

Been a bit busy with moving and such so haven't had much time to refine the second installment. I did manage to make some tweaks and animated two new shots. One a close up of a face and the other a penguin poping its head out of an open freezer, then going back in and closing the door behind him.

Decided those were needed to bridge a few sections.

Looks like running time will hit around 10min for "The Magical Hat"

Hopefully in the next day or two I can finalize the cut, then this weekend I hope to do Foley and voice work.

I will also have to find a composer for the second installment. Once that is done and music locked, I can adjust the credits. For fun I've been animating the credits.

I fully finished the story boards for the thrid installment and have begun on the storyboards for the fourth. Luckally i cna story board and write on my lunch breaks and when the system is busy with whatever paying project I have on hand.

I will also try to put up the first installment (sans music) sometime soon, unless before then I get the music, then I'll add it and ask for feedback.

Besides the usual stream of consiousness ramblings, are there any aspects of the process that anyone is curious about or would like me to expand on?

Lookie some Video

As promised, here is the first installment sans music. I will do a final adjustment of the sound levels of the "voices" and effects once I do the final mix.

Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzMA78ejJyA
-Available in 1080p on YT

Not much to update. Music for the first installment is slated to be done by the end of October...eek.

Been busy moving to a new place, so the penguins have been left to their own devices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pEDfvbQTc8
-looks like the penguins got into the rocket launchers again

Been meaning to comment on this for ages, just never got round to it.

Seems like you're really passionate about the project, which is great, and the 4 minute version looks really nice. I think the short will live or die on the strength of the music/sound design, so make sure you take the time to make that magical. The oceans have a really distinctive and evocative noise, and if you listen to the way the music and sound design work in a film like Finding Nemo you get how important that is to support the art of the visuals.

If I was to offer a solitary suggestion: change the font for the 'The Flower' title! :)

Been meaning to comment on this for ages, just never got round to it.

Seems like you're really passionate about the project, which is great, and the 4 minute version looks really nice. I think the short will live or die on the strength of the music/sound design, so make sure you take the time to make that magical. The oceans have a really distinctive and evocative noise, and if you listen to the way the music and sound design work in a film like Finding Nemo you get how important that is to support the art of the visuals.

If I was to offer a solitary suggestion: change the font for the 'The Flower' title! :)

Thanks for watching and the feedback.

This is mostly me playing around in my spare time. I totally get the importance of the music, that is why I'm letting the composers take their time on the music for this first installment. However I'm also trying to avoid over thinking the music.

Moving forward I'm going to try really hard to find someone local (in the same city or within a short drive) to work with on the music. Longer distance collaboration on music has not been the most efficient process. Also, I feel as producer/show runner/penguin master I don't quite have the level of involvement that I should in the music. But it is also a balancing act to try and not be a control freak.

For the second installment, I've done more to make it more visually appealing and lessen the dependence on music. At least I hope that is what I've done.

I actually already have a change on the title front. I've removed all the titles from the animation files. I've decided to do titles for each installment in the editing suite. This way if I have to change language or the title for some reason I can easily do so. To keep it simple, I'm going to be using Ariel Bold for all the titles. Each title will fade on and then transition off with a custom gradient wipe. This will also allow for better consistency between installments.

Finished moving this weekend. Finally got the editing system hooked up and running. Wife and I have been under the weather with a cold, so she couldn't voice anything and I've not been well enough to really work on anything. So below is what I have done so far. Both available in 1080p if viewed directly on YouTube

Here is the Second Installment without any sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qfv3Yh0s2Po
-see the penguins get into trouble when a magic hat lands in Pingland

And here is the Third Installment without any sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S1oQwMKCgU
-Some penguins watch an old war movie

So far the search for someone local to do music is not faring well. If anyone wants to volunteer to do music for either of the above videos let me know.

And as always I'm open to feedback.

Looking ahead, once I do the voice and sound effects for these I'm going to start on the 4th installment. I think it will be a Halloween episode just so I can put penguins in pumpkins and have one dressed up like a giant candy corn.

Not much to update. Still getting over a cold, not got much done. Still scripting and story-boarding the Halloween installment and looking for a local musician.

But here is a picture of a penguin dressed as a candy corn, taking a baby penguin who is dressed as a witch trick-o-treating for fish. This is not in the upcoming animation, just did this for fun and to test out the candy corn outfit. I know the composition of the image is garbage, I was just playing around.

-Trick-o-Fish!

Back