• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

What suggestions do you have for writing a script based off of a story?

I write a fanfiction based off of the story for the video game inFAMOUS and for several TV shows. I use it as a way to work on my story development skills. I think it works and I have grown attached to my own plot and characters. Now if I were to change some of the copyrighted material (City name, important character names, conduit, stuff like that) I would be able to turn it into a script. I have some creative ideas for scene setup and I am very very excited to start. I am planning everything out now as I speak of it. One thing I really wonder about though is how to successfully create this movie. When I get the script done, based purely on the nature of the story, it's going to be extremely effects heavy. I mean almost to the point where every scene for a long while will have effects like teleportation and energy blasts. That kind of thing is very important and I wonder if anyone has any experience writing this into a script (can anyone help tell me how to write it please?) and how to film/edit these scenes. I once did an effects role with some teleportation and energy blasts but I was wondering if there was a way to make it bigger and better. I am starting out with a short film plot and script that I could produce myself and then depending on my experience I want to make a feature script out of it.

Basically my question is how to write effects and powers into the script (I'm using celtx if that matters :huh:) and how to then film and edit the scenes well.
Also, is there anyone out there with information as to which editing programs would be a good investment for this project? I only have one laptop that runs 32 bit Windows 7 so nothing too powerful for my setup please :)

What don't you understand? I want to know how to make a script out of a story... exactly what my title and question both state. I know that I changed questions but it's basically the same thing. I want to know how to turn the intricacies of the story into effects on camera.

That kind of thing is very important and I wonder if anyone has any experience writing this into a script (can anyone help tell me how to write it please?)

Basically my question is how to write effects and powers into the script (I'm using celtx if that matters :huh:) -

Let’s say you have someone teleporting. In the script you will write:

Bob instantly teleports away leaving Mary holding nothing but his
useless belt.

Let’s say you want someone to use an energy blast. In the script
you will write:

Mary drops to one knee, aims her weapon and fires one energy
blast. She drops, rolls and leaps up firing another blast and then
another.

You can do that in Celex or Word or Final Draft or Movie Magic or even an
old fashioned typewriter the way they did it back in the "Star Trek" TV and
"Star Wars" days.

If you are attending college or have a friend attending college, the AfterEffects package can be purchased reasonably, about $350 I think. Ideally for video editting you want a dedicated system. But if you pick up an external hard drive (1 terabyte or so) for $100, you can manage to work it. You can also pick up Premiere though Final Cut is better. But Adobe will frequently package AfterEffects with Premiere. There are others who can answer this better in other forums.

As for the screenwriting side, the spec side is exactly as Directorik said. On the shooting script side, there may be a shot description break out. Depends on the production company's practice. I typically break it out as a separate line. Often special effects will also be capitalized if they are unique or would be missed. Use caps sparingly. After I mention it once in a scene (or script), I don't have to capitalize it each time. It helps the production manager who goes through the script and must identify shot props and effects.

in the spec script:
Code:
EXT.  VULCAN TEMPLE - DAY
The air hums as Kirk stands beside the Vulcan temple.

A SWIRL OF LIGHTS as McCoy and Spock materialize.

Kirk collapses and McCoy runs over with a hypospray in hand.

in a shooting script this might appear:
Code:
14     EXT.  VULCAN TEMPLE - DAY       14
The air hums as Kirk stands beside the Vulcan temple.

14A   LONG SHOT  centered to right of Gong
A SWIRL OF LIGHTS as McCoy and Spock materialize.

14B  PAN to left on Kirk and PUSH IN
Kirk collapses and McCoy runs over with a hypospray in hand.

In an Indie film, you can simply use the spec script and hand write any shot notes. No specific highlights are needed.

In an Indie film, you can simply use the spec script and hand write any shot notes. No specific highlights are needed.

I never even thought of that.

I would write the idea that you have in your mind like scifi and Rik said. Just as you would on any other spec. Just remember some parts of the story muse won't always be necessary or even fit into your script. Focus on the points that make the story push forward and not just on teh parts that show awesome, kickass psychic powers.

I do not believe a writer needs to highlight or capitalize
anything in a script. Readers are not as inattentive as
many writers think they are. You do not need to capitalize
awesome, kick-ass, psychic powers.

Seriously, when you read what I wrote did you not get
that Mary would use an energy blast? Would it be more
powerful to you if I had used uppercase? What if I used
bold? How about if I used caps, bold and underlined the
words? What that allow you - the reader - to understand
"energy blast" better?

Frankly, when you put your question in bold it annoyed me.
It didn't make your question more interesting, or more
powerful or more important - it made is annoying. The two
of us who answered would have answered even if you had
not asked in bold.

Same with a screenplay.

Write what happens. Nothing more.

I didn't put my question in bold to get more attention. I put it in bold because I thought that I was rambling and that having it stand out at the end would make it easier for anyone who was already interested in answering would have a better understanding of what I was asking. If I did annoy you it wasn't on purpose

I didn't put my question in bold to get more attention. I put it in bold because I thought that I was rambling and that having it stand out at the end would make it easier for anyone who was already interested in answering would have a better understanding of what I was asking. If I did annoy you it wasn't on purpose
That's my point about putting items in your script in uppercase.

Writers do it because they believe the words or actions or props will stand
out, making it easier for the reader to have a better understanding of what
they are writing. It can (and sometimes does) annoy the reader. It is not
the writers intent to annoy the reader just like it wasn't your intent to
annoy me. But in many cases, using upper case (or bold) does the opposite
of what the writer thinks it is doing.

I can guarantee you, both FantasySciFi and I would have still answered if
you had not used bold. That is my point in using your post as an example.

As FantasySciFi said, use caps sparingly. I go one step farther; do not use
them at all.

However, if you feel that putting any use of awesome, kick-ass, psychic
powers in your script in upper case or even bold will make these powers
stand out, I think you should do it. It's your script. Write it in the way you
feel showcases your writing best.

My comments were from the production side. The series of videos below talk about how scripts get turned into productions. Please understand that when I say using capitalization ("Often special effects will also be capitalized if they are unique or would be missed."), I am speaking from the production side and not so much the reading side. It will offend some readers to have lots (or any) capitalization in an action/description line, though you will often find it in produced scripts. Some production companies will use it as part of their shooting or production script. My comments were directed since you intend to produce it yourself.

In those cases, as with when characters are first introduced, only special effects (sounds or visual effects) that are unique may require initial highlighting. In the spec script, it is not required or necessarily desirable to use caps. If used, they should be used sparingly. CAPS usually are reserved for characters, shots, transitions and sluglines.

For those interested in the behind the scenes production aspects, I'm including the following video clips. They should be in order. This shows what happens to the script after it's optioned and being prepared for shooting. I've also included a clip that shows how this can be implemented in CeltX. CeltX has lots of features for production beyond the script formatting aspects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az2iVloxXL4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4axoD1l8YQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3YBOu4vZ4Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lhKnUT3MJA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1tJ2E2PUWU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmmbXZFKclY

CeltX
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6IeYOsL8pU

So basically if I am using the script for myself only, it's not that big of a deal how it's written and if I want to use caps for my own use in post, then its fine. If I made a prod. script, I would definitely drop the caps because I realize that not everyone is as inattentive as I am. I would just keep the capitalized one for me :)

Exactly right.

When writing a script you will be financing, producing and
directing you can write it in any way that you understand.
There are no rules. Now, when you ask other people to read
it - even a script you will be financing, producing and directing
- you must expect people to comment on unusual or even
out dated format.

Don't be too surprised when you show a non-standard script to
actors and crew and they question your format. It never hurts
to learn to write in the standard. If you really are so "inattentive"
that you can't remember where and what types of effects are
needed, you could always print a copy of your properly formatted
script and highlight what you think you will forget when you are
on set making the movie.

Back