Wireless future in video

Hey, You might be wondering what wireless communications has to do with videography, but Im sure it will have a huge impact when bandwiths enlarge in the next decade.

Like new digital theatres using wireless data to download films (video) instead of theatres having to use expensive film stock.

Im thinking in the future, people will be able to work more freely with sharing footage with one another to perhaps work on community projects. I know it can be done now with email or ftp uploads/downloads. but most people have a very sluggish upstream (mine is only 425k or about 60K up. thats barely a 320x240 15fps stream.

It would be nice to have a connection that is as fluid as a HDTV at full 30fps.

Right now, Verizon has a wireless "broadband" that you can get for 60 bucks a month (with a 2 year commitment). their version of "Broadband" is 400-700 dl and burst of 2mbs.

Thats pretty neat to be able to jump in your car and stay on the same personal network pretty much where ever you are in your metropolitan area without any cords.

But When do you guys think such a thing could exist with say 10MBs down and perhaps 1.5MPS up or faster. thats megabytes not bits.

I would love to see wireless "Ineternet v2" hit the market very soon. It will change how life is and I am pretty sure it will change community filming and student/indie filming as we know it.

Would love to know what kind of broadband is in the works in your area. I know San Francisco is planning on blanketing all of the city by the end of next year with free coverage. I dont know how fast it will be but wireless free internet would be a cool thing to have. I pay 25 bucks a month for 3000/425 so thats pretty decent compared to the 59 bucks I payed for cable at 4000/180

:yes:
-input

Last edited:
I don't think Internet-2 will be becoming mainstream in the next few years. Would be nice if it did, but it's pretty much limited to select universities and the bigger computer/tech companies. They shut it down at some unis, when it appeared the bulk of its usage was for downloading pirated films in a fraction of the time. :lol:

Google is about to get all wacky by providing some cities with free broadband access... will be interesting to see how they cover the cost of that, and how the targeted ads will be worked in.

Googlezon
smiley_tinfoil.gif

They have it in Japan and Korea. They are so many lightyears ahead of us when it comes to wireless phones and internet its not even funny. Our problem is that we have built such a large terra network of towers that it is the phone companies that are limiting our capabilities.

Wireless on-demand movies will replace rental stores one day. And wireless is also important for production - think of all the wires on set going to monitors and such no longer being necessary.

...all I know is that I couldn't get online wireless for the whole first week of my production period, which I am still on. I was in San Francisco and was pulling out my hair and all I wanted to do was get online with my computer. Until they figure out how to get the bugs out, there are going to be major problems and alot of really mad people trying to use it...

--spinner :cool:

The MPEG Group's H.264 compression was made for low bandwidth wireless applications. Look at the compression ratios and then look at the superb quality. Companies like DirecTV have moved from MPEG to H.264 with their new satellites that can transmit HDTV in H.264 using low bandwidth. One satellite has already launched.

I honestly believe that wireless in current - or yet to be released technologies will soon be as commonplace as water and electricity. Phone networks should be afraid, we may not need them by next decade.

Reminds me of the Max Headroom TV series.

Zensteve said:
Google is about to get all wacky by providing some cities with free broadband access... will be interesting to see how they cover the cost of that, and how the targeted ads will be worked in.

Googlezon
smiley_tinfoil.gif

The city of Sarasota, FL has a free wireless network spanning a pretty large area. The money needed is actually not that much, and considering Google's net worth, it shold not be a problem.

As for 10mb/s, no one knows for sure. I have read articles that say the technology and infastructure to handle bandwith like that to the massive public won't be available until around 2011 or later.

You can never know though, who here had predicted 5 years ago that you could take your laptop to a mall or coffee store and play online poker?

Other than the people pushing the technology, no one else knows for certain.

But When do you guys think such a thing could exist with say 10MBs down and perhaps 1.5MPS up or faster. thats megabytes not bits.

The technology has existed for the better part of 20 years, if not longer. Much like the "net" it was employed by the CIA and was secret. Much of what is now on the "cutting edge" is very out of date from a technology standpoint.

The problem with buying technology is that it is current today, and out of date tomorrow. Technology does not make leaps like that on its own. It just appears that way because more of it is released, not invented.

So, back to your question. Your guess is as good as anyone elses. We will all just have to wait and see.

WideShot said:
They have it in Japan and Korea. They are so many lightyears ahead of us when it comes to wireless phones and internet its not even funny. Our problem is that we have built such a large terra network of towers that it is the phone companies that are limiting our capabilities.

Wireless on-demand movies will replace rental stores one day. And wireless is also important for production - think of all the wires on set going to monitors and such no longer being necessary.

thats a really good point. I dont blame them for wanting to protect their investments but as far back as the mid 1990s, i recall thinking to myself that By the time it takes them to set up all their modern equipment (What was modern in the late 80s and early 90s) the advancment of technology will render it useless. There was a big move in the 1980s and 1990s to have Video Teleconferencing for every household in America. I remember watching AT&T commercials during the holidays which they would show families talking to another family across the world on their giant wall projector phone and thinking how cool that would be.

But AT&T is now SBC and SBC has other plans. So there must be alot of bickering going on in the utility companies about what to do with all the crap they erected over the last 15 years when new technology would have hardly taken up any room and is probably much cheaper to maintain.

They should have just waited and we would have went from early 20th century technology straight into the 21st as is in Japan and Korea. I dont know alot about networking or the telecommunications world, but from speaking to friends and former workers who worked for the phone or cable companies I know that what was being installed in the US in the 1990s and would take 10 years or so to complete was already being used in the UK in the late 1980s. All these oversize cell towers and stuff can be replaced by newer sat systems and even better digital ground radio devices.

If they knew it would take 15 years to complete, why didnt someone just think ahead and say "by then it will be outdated". Now other countries will be far more advanced then us and this will only effect our economy that much more. There needs to be a large allowence of federal aid set aside to keep the US ahead of the game.

Back