They're rebooting Space: 1999.

That said, if you did do a fan series and want to use it to pitch an official remake, using that as part of a pitch to the studios might help. I would assume you'd go about that the way you'd pitch anything to a studio (though you are limited in who you can pitch to by who holds the rights). I would also assume that's where an agent would be useful, in setting up a meeting.

I have been told that's not how the process works - the Star Trek people certainly haven't had any luck on that one. I understand that, if, say, Paramount wanted a new series, they'd ask the professionals in the business to come up with a concept and then get a director to come up with a pilot.

I have been told that's not how the process works - the Star Trek people certainly haven't had any luck on that one. I understand that, if, say, Paramount wanted a new series, they'd ask the professionals in the business to come up with a concept and then get a director to come up with a pilot.

This is, for the most part, true. And it makes sense; if you are Paramount and you want to do a new Trek series, who are you going to call? People you know, people who have worked for you, etc. But you MIGHT call up that guy who pitched a fan concept once to serve as an AD, or one of the writers. Not likely, but it has happened.

Again, I point out the career of Bryan Fuller. Sent in a couple DS9 scripts, which they liked, and produced. Hired on as a writer for Voyager. At that point, he had connections, a career and was able to (through his agent) pitch a few of his own series. They've all been sadly short-lived, but Dead Like Me, Wonderfalls and Pushing Daisies are among my personal favorites (generally speaking, critically well received too).

Now, this worked by him sending in scripts to a show that was already running, not pitching a resurrection of an old show. As I said before, the whole point to fan works is by the fans, for the fans. But if you, for example, did a fan Logan's Run series and pitched it to a network (after showing it to the fans), IF that network decided to do a series, there is a SLIGHT chance you might get SOME work out of it, because if you didn't pitch it, the network would not even know your name.

Bah, long rant. Sci-fi is fun!

You know, the company doing the reboot is the same company that did the reboot of V, which didn't last too long. So, if the reboot of Space: whenever doesn't last too long ... well, Summer Glau may not be the only one with problems. :D

I'm watching the old episodes now, and, while they can drag a little, they're quite fun to watch. I'm also VERY impressed by the high quality - they use miniature spacecraft as opposed to CGI, which is a welcome change, and their actors are often in spacesuits and can go into low-gravity space, which I don't often see in Star Trek or Star Wars.

If I ever get the chance, I will want to use miniatures instead of CGI, because the effects are better, and I will definitely want the personnel in spacecraft to be wearing spacesuits, for obvious reasons. Any thoughts on that? Rik?

I cooked up an idea back in my school days of a giant spaceship that was like a space age city that flied through space for new adventures I called "Travel City" The bridge was the heart of the city with a great dome around its exterior. The rest of it was the actual ship.

Nice idea when you are still in school.
But no society would go travel to look for adventures and thus risk their own existence, unless they have to move somewhere to keep existing. A space age city would go somewhere where they have abundance of energy and safety. Only small groups look for adventure, often with a wish to return victoriously/rich or for the sake of history. :P

Space 2099, I figure the explosion will be replace by an implosion caused by an accident during the startup of a new collider or fusion generator creating some wormhole :P

Back