Why Did Vimeo Mess Up My Aspect Ratio?

The Vimeo compression guidelines say that videos should use the H.264 codec at 640, 1280 or 1920px wide. Using a .wmv encoded file may not be your only problem but it's probably playing a significant part in Vimeo misinterpreting the aspect ratio.

Most modern NLEs will have options for exporting H.264 files; if you let us know what editing software and operating system you're using I'm sure someone will be able to help you.

The Vimeo compression guidelines say that videos should use the H.264 codec at 640, 1280 or 1920px wide. Using a .wmv encoded file may not be your only problem but it's probably playing a significant part in Vimeo misinterpreting the aspect ratio.

Most modern NLEs will have options for exporting H.264 files; if you let us know what editing software and operating system you're using I'm sure someone will be able to help you.

I'm using Sony Vegas Movie Studio, and what file should I export it as?

It'll say in the FAQs and probably on the actual upload page. I haven't uploaded anything for a while so I can't really remember. The recommended is likely to be a H.264. I don't know if Vegas can export as that, haven't used it enough. Using the YouTube upload setting is likely to produce a similar kind of file that Vimeo will like

http://vimeo.com/help/compression

Last edited:
Back