Wanting this quality

Hello,

So I have a look I am aspiring. My main goal is web series work. I am hoping to accomplish this with the Canon Rebel T3i.

This is the look I want: http://www.hulu.com/watch/396212

I personally don't think it is that good, so of course I want to surpass this. But as long as it can be seen on the same level as this production I would be happy. What do you think is needed to get to this level? What do you think about this work? TIA :D

What do you think is needed to get to this level?
You're going to hate my answer. So I apologize in advance.

What is needed to get to that level is not the camera. It is the skill,
experience and talent of many people. They did not point the camera
and shoot. Skilled, talented, experienced people lit the scenes, exposed
them properly then used color correction to get the look you saw in
web series.

An aspiring director of photography with some talent can get to that
level. An aspiring director can work with a director of photography
to get to that level. Frankly, there is nothing unusual or special or
difficult about what you posted. It's fine work and that level can be
achieved with some talent, some skill and plenty of experience.

Are you aspiring to be a director of photography?

I want to be a great director of photography. Just with a little research I have started to realize more of the patterns of how to make a scene move. I'm planning on recreating scenes just so I can get more of a feel of the movement and really flex the muscle.

Currently I am a writter and actress but I would love to create things for myself and others. I am a very determined individual and I've been researching like crazy about getting into the indie film scene. By the end of the year I plan to have a webseries in post production along with plenty of scene work done.

I just hope to get to this level.

Can you see this?

I can see the link, but not the imbedded BBcode. Just use the part after the = so YT]9xtZ3DD1E8s[/YT (but put the opening and closing tags.

I am hoping to accomplish this with the Canon Rebel T3i.
I want to surpass this.

Yes you can achieve this look with the T3i with some assumptions. It's a fairly low end camera compared with most of the other options available. That being said, it's better than older cameras I learnt on.

As Rik mentioned, the experience and capabilities of the crew, most notably the DOP, camera op, colorist, gaffer, editor and even getting a more experienced sound guy (and post sound) would have increased the perceived quality of that video a lot.

Your lighting is going to have more of an impact than your camera (within reason). Use the T3i and Light a scene right will produce a better output than a scene shot on the best camera and poorly (or not) lit with bad sound. The lesson is, gear is one thing, but people who know what they're doing is more important.

I can see the link, but not the imbedded BBcode. Just use the part after the = so YT]9xtZ3DD1E8s[/YT (but put the opening and closing tags.

Thanks!

Yes you can achieve this look with the T3i with some assumptions. It's a fairly low end camera compared with most of the other options available. That being said, it's better than older cameras I learnt on.

As Rik mentioned, the experience and capabilities of the crew, most notably the DOP, camera op, colorist, gaffer, editor and even getting a more experienced sound guy (and post sound) would have increased the perceived quality of that video a lot.

Your lighting is going to have more of an impact than your camera (within reason). Use the T3i and Light a scene right will produce a better output than a scene shot on the best camera and poorly (or not) lit with bad sound. The lesson is, gear is one thing, but people who know what they're doing is more important.

I'm hoping I can learn to do it all. Is it uncommon for one person to do it all?

I'm hoping I can learn to do it all. Is it uncommon for one person to do it all?

It depends on the level of production value you want. If you're talking a professional level, it's virtually impossible. Each part of filmmaking takes a long time to learn at a professional level. To learn them all, you either need to be naturally gifted or live an unnaturally long life.

At the amateur level, it's common for people to take up multiple roles. I even see people attempting to take up all the crew roles, though, the outcome more often than not is less than stellar.

On top of that, it's often difficult for one person to be able to afford all the equipment needed to produce top shelf videos. Lighting, camera, lenses, sound, grip, computer, transport and so on. Most people specialize and come together to create something.

Just a perspective thing to consider: Look at a Hollywood blockbuster movie and go to the closing credits. Count how many names are there. Can you handle that sort of workload? Now go through the list of jobs that were done. How long do you think it'll take for you to learn all those duties? While you're unlikely to need all the roles that blockbusters have, you need to be at the point where you need to know what duties need to be filled.

Back