• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch "Outlaw" - hip-hop music video i directed and edited - shot with canon 7d

I liked it; it seems like something I'd see if I watched the VH1 top 20 music videos. Its well shot and nothing about it seemed out of place or wrong.

Your video seems to have A LOT of interlacing issues? Did you by chance shoot it in FP24 without trying to remove pulldown?

Not sure what u mean by remove pulldown

But are you referring to the slow motion shots?

if so we made the mistake of shooting a lot of the shots we intended to edit in slow motion at 24 instead of 60

Not sure what u mean by remove pulldown

But are you referring to the slow motion shots?

if so we made the mistake of shooting a lot of the shots we intended to edit in slow motion at 24 instead of 60

I'm referring to the blurriness and the weird lines all throughout the video. What camera were you using?

Olde E, Goose, Ciroc? You have good taste.

Okay, wait a minute. You should not be drinking Henny from the bottle!

Is that dude drinking pickle-juice? Hehe. I love the little details of this video.

I think this video is shot really well. And, I think it's edited at a nice pace, moves along briskly. I'll be frank, the content of the video is more of the same -- I mean, how many rap videos have we seen with people drinking and whatever? Okay, so maybe the concept isn't exactly original, but it's done well. The video looks good.

As Vlad mentioned, you've got some interlacing issues. Major interlacing issues. I'm actually surprised that you didn't see it at first, or know what Vlad was talking about, because your footage and editing has the look and feel of someone who's been doing this a while. If you're new to this, and aren't familiar with interlacing, then you're doing a damn fine job for a beginner.

Take a look at people's outlines, especially when they move laterally. There are tiny little lines that are off-center from each other. Everything looks jagged. It shouldn't look like this if you shot on the 7D.

The 7D shoots progressive, so every image captured is one complete image. On many video cameras, especially old ones, they record interlaced, meaning that if you're shooting 30FPS, you're actually shooting 60 half-frames per second, and every frame only captures every other line.

My first guess is that you chose the wrong settings on your editing software. Either the entire project was chosen to be interlaced, or you exported interlaced. With 7D footage, you should keep everything progressive, and that'll do away with those funky jagged edges.

Cracker thanks

There was a setting about interlaced that I wasn't too sure about so that's probably the problem

As far as the content it is a hiphop video. Hiphop is usually a social commentary on what happens in every day urban life so unless I'm working with different type of artists a lot of what goes on will be common stuff

What I try to do is add at least a story line to jazz it up a bit

When I work with different type of artists in the future I'll be sure to make the content much different

Thanks for the insight bro

Did you get your issue fixed? If not, another thing I can think of is converting the raw footage before you put it in your editor.

You might know this already, but the raw footage off the 5+7D's are in a viewing format and need to be converted before being thrown into a editor other wise it can act squirly. You also want to use a program to confirm the frame rate too. I don't know what software your using, but I use Cinema Tools and Compressor with my Final Cut studio to put all my 5D footage through this process.

Back